I hate RYAN air

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well rules is rules ain't they, but the difference to me is the attitude of the airline.
Pity they don't concentrate on a bit of customer service for repeat business, which is what I was taught to give and expect,
I'm neither cattle nor sheep, my experience was such that I got from A to B with such a sour taste that I don't need a repeat experience with this airline.

I have just booked RDZ/STN/RDZ in mid/late Feb for €39.99 all-in. (of course Mme will have to cope with just a carry on bag so no room for last minute shopping). At those prices who cares about not getting service with a smile?

John

We do at least 3 return trips each year with Ryanair, and have never had problems; maybe we've been very lucky. We do, however, play it totally by the rules, whether it's size of hand luggage or check-in time. We also try to ensure that we always have a card which limits the amount we have to pay Ryanair. If another airline was as convenient, we'd try them, but as it is, Ryanair flies to an airport very close to where we need to be all year round - at the moment!  

We got collared  a while back when Julie tried boarding with her small case and her handbag.  We got told one bag only so we opened the case, took out a coat and put it on to make room for her handbag.  Got on the plane and removed my coat.

The rules are the rules but the way you enforce them is key.  I don't particularly like RA and their customer service can leave a bit to be desired but they are cheap and reliable.

[quote user="AnOther"] they can conduct their business virtually as a monopoly would.[/quote]

Of course, but they are not, they are in partnership with the subsidies from the Airports they use,
so the best I can hope for (unlikelyfor a while[:)]) might be that passenger numbers increase enough for someone else to compete for the subsidy . . . please [;-)]

Their contract  with Brest airport has come to an end and not renegotiated

I'm surprised the Op was not more savvy regarding this -  I always travel in a way that means that my handbag and extra purchases will fit in my hand luggage, even on transatlantic flights. Luckily someone here gave me the 'heads up' re Atlanta airport which was particularly tricky in this regard.

[quote user="Russethouse"] I'm surprised the Op was not more savvy regarding this[/quote]

One of the airports that I have been through recently (in the last 3 months) - I cannot remember which one - had a sign up in the departure lounge/shopping area saying that Ryanair and Easyjet allowed a separate bag for airport purchases. This kind of misinformation can only create confusion in the minds of the travellers.

I think that NuB has a right to remind us - whilst letting off steam - (and regardless of the details of the rights and wrongs) about the way in which some of the staff of Ryanair's ground handling agents can seem sometimes to be on a mission to find an excuse to be obnoxious and to be on a power trip of some kind.

We all need to be aware that with Ryanair, the 25 minute turnround (chocks-in to chocks-out) is sacrosanct: if the ground handling company is deemed responsible for a delay to the turnround, then they are not paid for that turnround. Similarly, at times they have also been given targets in terms of numbers of excess bag/overweight bag fees to collect.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="NuBeginnings"]

Arrived at the air port (Stansted), on time with a small hold bag only (that fitted in the bag sizer).

I decided to do a bit of duty free shopping, brought a camera and a bottle of wine. [/quote]

When OH and I returned from the UK to France last December with Ryanair we arrived at the airport, checked in our suitcases and had our cabin luggage checked for size. Then we went through security, where my laptop and other items were scrutinised. Being then air-side we bought some duty free items so when we went through the final check before boarding we each had 1 cabin bag and 1 duty free bag and had absolutely no problems boarding the plane. Nor did any of the other passengers, most of which had duty free purchases. So, my question is, at what point did you buy your duty free items land-side or air-side ie before the security check or after?

Sue

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="NuBeginnings"] Arrived at the air port (Stansted), on time with a small hold bag only (that fitted in the bag sizer). I decided to do a bit of duty free shopping, brought a camera and a bottle of wine. [/quote]
When OH and I returned from the UK to France last December with Ryanair we arrived at the airport, checked in our suitcases and had our cabin luggage checked for size. Then we went through security, where my laptop and other items were scrutinised. Being then air-side we bought some duty free items so when we went through the final check before boarding we each had 1 cabin bag and 1 duty free bag and had absolutely no problems boarding the plane. Nor did any of the other passengers, most of which had duty free purchases. So, my question is, at what point did you buy your duty free items land-side or air-side ie before the security check or after?

Sue
[/quote]

We've seen this regularly when returning from Nimes with Ryanair - people with several bags, maybe hat boxes, large toys etc. However, recently we've had to place all our cabin baggage on the scales to be weighed and looked at. Some people have been sent to check their luggage in to the hold, at extra cost.

I've never ever seen people allowed more than 1 cabin bag coming from Luton to Nimes, and have been told once that my handbag had to go into my cabin bag - I'd just forgotten it, there was plenty of room for it in my cabin bag. This was before we went up the escalator to check-in. However, when we flew from Luton in December I had a shoulder bag slung under my coat - I'd been a bit warm on arrival at the terminal and took my jacket off; I then slipped it back on as we walked to check-in. I was on the plane before I realised it hadn't been placed in my luggage, and nobody had noticed - or at least, said anything! [:)]

[quote user="gardengirl "]I've never ever seen people allowed more than 1 cabin bag coming from Luton to Nimes, and have been told once that my handbag had to go into my cabin bag  ... ][/quote]

That's not what I said we had ... we each had 1 cabin bag; mine had my laptop and my handbag in it. Then we had the bag - with, clearly plastered all over it, the words 'duty free' - provided at the till when we purchased our duty free items - t'was more like a glorified carrier bag in effect.

Sue

But will you have a hissy fit when the rules are applied?

Me, no way.

It was the first time we had ever flown with Ryanair, we were told that anyone who bought stuff airside in the duty free shop was provided with a special 'duty free' bag by the staff. I asked if it was OK to board the plane with this and was told 'yes', so long as the only things in the bag had been purchased in the df. The bag had the till receipt clipped to the handle and was inspected before we boarded the plane.

Sue

Flybe, Easyjet and Jet2 to name some other low cost airlines all have a one item of hand luggage rule, BUT it excludes duty free purchases bought airside which are allowed on board in a separate carrier bag.

Ryanair are unique in insisting on duty free bought airside being fitted into your one item of hand luggage. However, this is not uniformly enforced as where they are flying from a larger airport like Gatwick, I believe the airport operator does not allow Ryanair to enforce a policy that discourages their passengers from buying duty free purchases from airport shops, as otherwise Ryanair would be seen as commercially unattractive by the larger airports, or charged higher airport fees!

Interestingly Ryanair are trying to expand into more mainstream airports like Gatwick where slots are in short supply and therefore the airport operator has the upper hand in negotiating T&C's and of course there is greater competition from other low cost carriers.

So this is not a uniform Ryanair policy as it all depends on the airport they are operating from and what Ryanair can get away with.

I sympathise with you Nubeginnings...

Yes, had you have done everything absolutely correctly to comply with their complicated rules, you would have been fine - but what a way to be treated for doing what many people do and that is buying something from the airport...

They do not care about individuals. They only care about finding new ways of getting more money from people.

My son is flying from Norwich to Amsterdam this week on a very cheap ticket with KLM. Included in the price is one bag for the hold at 23.5kgs and one carry-on bag at 12kgs...

He has received his e-tickets and can check in online - all without charge.

If KLM can do it, why can't Ryanair?

Just to clarify,

1. I arrived at the airport 2.5 hrs before departure

2. I brought two items in the duty free after security.

3. I arrived at the boarding gate in plenty of time.

4. Had I have read the small print I would have known better, which was my mistake. I would have re packed my bag long before arriving at the gate.

I have taken 100s of flights, only a few with

( RYAN air) and have never been penalised for buying duty free.

5. But the worst part was the way I was treated buy the staff, they hold all the cards and seemed to enjoy telling me the gate had closed.

I was stood just to the side of the gate re packing no prompt from the staff hurry up sir you will miss your flight etc just the gates closed and a smug grin.

For all of you that have commented in a positive way I thank you. For those who were critical and sarcastic what can I say except you were not there and I hope that you never get treated in such a distasteful way.

I am now back in France, came on the Euro star which will be my new mode of transport slightly longer but I would rather that than give RYAN air my money.

[quote user="suein56"]It was the first time we had ever flown with Ryanair, we were told that anyone who bought stuff airside in the duty free shop was provided with a special 'duty free' bag by the staff. I asked if it was OK to board the plane with this and was told 'yes', so long as the only things in the bag had been purchased in the df. The bag had the till receipt clipped to the handle and was inspected before we boarded the plane.[/quote]These are general airport rules for duty free and nothing to do withan airlines own rules on number of items allowed.

Staff in the shops are not responsible for knowing these rules, or telling you about them, and probably couldn't care less anyway.

[quote user="Mel"]

I sympathise with you Nubeggings... Yes, had you have done everything absolutely correctly to comply with their complicated rules, you would have been fine - but what a way to be treated for doing what many people do and that is buying something from the airport... They do not care about individuals. They only care about finding new ways of getting more money from people. My son is flying from Norwich to Amsterdam this week on a very cheap ticket with KLM. Included in the price is one bag for the hold at 23.5kgs and one carry-on bag at 12kgs... He has received his e-tickets and can check in online - all without charge. If KLM can do it, why can't Ryanair?

[/quote]

Ryanair seem to have forecast a profit of €380m - 400m for this year whereas Air France/KLM is only €300m. If Ryanair can do it why can't KLM?

John

[quote user="NuBeginnings"]I have taken 100s of flights, only a few with ( RYAN air) and have never been penalised for buying duty free. [/quote]Buying duty free was not the issue, you were penalised for not obeying the rules.

Bet you will fly them again [;-)]

Nubeginnings - I am afraid the sarcasm has become an established trend with some posters on this website and does keep a lot of people away...

Iceni - I am sure that if KLM brought in all the charges that Ryanair impose, their profits might well close that gap. But thankfully there are still companies who actually want to give a good service as well, treating people with respect as they do so. And that certainly was not the case for Nubeginnings was it?