Ryanair website warning

MrCanary

I recently purchased flights from the Ryanair website and, of course, incurred all the usual add-ons...

At the end of the process, it is claimed, I ticked a box that offered me a discount voucher for a future flight. Maybe I did, I'm not sure. But I am sure I would not have turned down the opportunity of getting money back from Ryanair, so perhaps I ticked the box.

I have just had £10 taken from my credit card account by a company called 'shopperdiscount.co.uk' - who had absolutely no permission to take that money and one has to wonder how they got my credit card details... I have located this 'company' and they told me I had joined their organisation whilst buying tickets from Ryanair and that the £10 is the first of my regular MONTHLY membership fees! I have, of course, accepted their offer to end my membership...

HSBC have refunded my £10 and are now investigating this. They told me they have had lots of similar complaints.

Hi

Théière - normally 'no' to flying. In fact, I cannot remember the last time we did. But on this occasion I have to get to France on the one day that is available between my grandaughter's 2nd birthday and our beautiful French neighbour's 80th birthday two days later.

So, short of knackering myself with a quick long-distance drive between parties, Ryanair is the best option.  

Ryanair are just one of several online companies who have teamed up with this company to exploit its customer database. You will have used your card details to purchase your flight, hotel room or whatever so that's where "shoppersdiscounts" get your details.

I managed to avoid this very recently when making a booking with Premier Inn - the "come on" was a £10 discount on your next booking but happily I read the small print first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopper_Discounts_%26_Rewards

http://www.60millions-mag.com/actualites/archives/les_fausses_bonnes_affaires_de_remises_et_reductions

Brian (again)

Yikes!  So that's what it was about.

I recently booked a Ryanair flight, and noticed that £10 off thing.  I hesitated, and then thought: "Oh, there's sure to be a catch, and it'll never be possible for the day I fly", or something, and continued without ticking the box.  Thank goodness.

But I am sorry to hear the saga, Mel.   I hope it gets stamped on really fast.

Angela

Mel

Thanks for the warning. I can, perhaps, understand the one-off extra charges for the unaware, but I do think that getting into the ongoing  monthly charges scenario is a little too much, even for such a forward looking company as Ryanair.

Richard.

[quote user="Richard51"]Mel

Thanks for the warning. I can, perhaps, understand the one-off extra charges for the unaware, but I do think that getting into the ongoing  monthly charges scenario is a little too much, even for such a forward looking company as Ryanair.

Richard.

[/quote]

Except the  ongoing charges are NOT Ryanair

You have to search the FAQ section to find this

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/what-is-shopper-discounts-and-rewards

Ryanair are not the only online retailer with this 'service', seems there are many more, both in the UK and France.  However, it appears that some  companies with an online website have dropped it after complaints (Debenhams and B&Q)

Brian (again)

Hello:

We want you to know that we’re here to help you. However, it’s difficult to do that in a public forum when we don’t know who each person is or the details of their membership. We can help you better and resolve your specific queries or concerns if you contact us directly. You can do so by visiting our own online member forum where we can answer your questions. You can find the forum here: http://bit.ly/gy87cg. Once on the site please post a question and our community manager will be able to respond to you directly. Alternatively, for more information about your specific membership you can contact me directly at [email protected]. If you contact me directly, please reference this forum.

Regards,

Maryo

Customer Service

[quote user="Maryo"]Hello:

We want you to know that we’re here to help you. However, it’s difficult to do that in a public forum when we don’t know who each person is or the details of their membership. We can help you better and resolve your specific queries or concerns if you contact us directly. You can do so by visiting our own online member forum where we can answer your questions. You can find the forum here: http://bit.ly/gy87cg. Once on the site please post a question and our community manager will be able to respond to you directly. Alternatively, for more information about your specific membership you can contact me directly at [email protected]. If you contact me directly, please reference this forum.

Regards,

Maryo

Customer Service[/quote]

If I have read the thread properly then the OP has sorted the problem, she is only advising fellow forum members to what appears to be an ongoing charge that doesn't jump up and bite you when accepting the discount.

Davy...

I admit I did not read the terms and conditions, but the offer on the website is very cleverly worded with the facts hidden away. I don't usually get caught out by these devious deals, but I did on this occasion. Irrespective of what we all think about Ryanair's 'add ons' to their charges, I would have thought them bigger than to get involved with this kind of stuff.

My purpose in starting this thread was to use my embarrassing and pathetic mistake as an example to fellow members of this forum to hopefully prevent anyone else getting caught out!

[quote user="Maryo"]Hello:

Regards,

Maryo

Customer Service[/quote]

It's very reassuring to know that your company are here to help but presumably only after you have used underhand tactics to rip off customers ? This practice seems like an out and out trick to catch unwary punters who don't wade through reams of t&cs and faqs.

Perhaps you could help us and others by making mention of the charge adjacent to the tick box ? Or would that mean no-one would sign up ?

[quote user="Mel"]

Irrespective of what we all think about Ryanair's 'add ons' to their charges, I would have thought them bigger than to get involved with this kind of stuff.

[/quote]

From Webloyalty's own website:

Ryanair's Sinead Finn, Director of Commercial Revenue,

commented: "Growing ancillary revenue allows us to keep fares low for

our customers. Now, in partnership with Webloyalty across three European

markets, our passengers are offered further value with ongoing

discounts from Webloyalty's programme – whilst we achieve a welcome

boost to our revenue stream."

So you can see that Ryanair's intentions are all aimed at keeping their prices low for their customers - nothing to do with increasing profits.[;-)]

Thanks for the warning Mel

Out of interest I clicked on their link provided by Maryo.

Of the forum subjects, I clicked on the one labelled "praise"  -  not a single posting  - says it all really.