Delays at Passport Control at Calais

Have to disagree with that one.  I have no intention of using the shop as I find it very overpriced.  A short time ago I used the Tunnel to get to the UK at around 1400 on a Sunday.  The queues to get through Passort control were nearly back to the motorway and it took nealy 1.5 hours to get through, nearly 3 times as long as the crossing itself! 

We also had a very long wait lwhen we crossed back to UK a few weeks ago because of the queues for passport control since it was changed about. It was very frustrating, and we also don't use the shops. We returned to UK yesterday and were dreading the thought of such long queues again, but it was quite quick and smooth.

However, our train was running late because of communication problems within the train itself. So we all sat in our cars on the train in very warm circumstances. Staff made announcements, but we had difficculty understanding them, whether they were meant to be in French or English; in fact, one man sounded East European when he came past the car. Staff did come round offering bottles of water, but I'd have hated to be stuck on there for much longer. When the crossing took place it was very roughand juddery; we use the tunnel for at least 3 return trips each year and usually find it very smooth.

I remember being with friends in Lille waiting for the eurostar and they made and announcement in three languages. I should have understood two of the languages, think I caught the odd word in nerlandaise (which I don't understand), but that was it. Do they put gags on these people before they sit them in front of the microphones. It is disgraceful that clear announcements cannot be made these days.

Well thankyou for that. A disjointed announcement in an echoey station and how can anyone understand. In the comfort of my own home, I got it. But what with M-R saying 'hein' 'qu'est ce qu'elle dit' 'hein',  didn't help either, M-R is not a quiet person at the best of times.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]Have to disagree with that one.  I have no intention of using the shop as I find it very overpriced.  A short time ago I used the Tunnel to get to the UK at around 1400 on a Sunday.  The queues to get through Passort control were nearly back to the motorway and it took nealy 1.5 hours to get through, nearly 3 times as long as the crossing itself! [/quote]

Friends suffered something similar at a peak travel day/time, when they asked the staff why the delay, they were told its been a busy day 40,000 cars have traveled. It didn't take us more than a few moments so I wonder if it was a slow computer day.