Flying from Geneva

I have flown through Geneva a lot. I always put cheese or sausages or whatever in my hold luggage and have never had any problems what so ever. I have never carried food in my hand luggage though.

However, there were and I think still are food restrictions in Switzerland and a friend of ours had all but one of his german salami confiscated by the swiss years ago. I reckon if you get as far as the airport with it then you'll be OK.

edit  it was always french cheese and sausisson out of Geneva and cheddar and walls sausages into France via Geneva.

Thanks for that Idun.  I'll only have my cabin bag so I think I'll take a chance. It will wreck my two days in the UK if it's confiscated but in for a penny in for a pound, perhaps I'll take some Morteau saussage as well.[:)]

Strangely in my hand luggage about five years ago I had a lot of papillotes, but the ones with the mini petards in them. I had bought them a week or so before travelling and had forgotten. I know that there isn't much 'explosive' in them, but there is more than say a bottle of water, which they don't allow any more.

Geneva is my favourite airport. Not that I have been to a lot of airports, but I have been to quite a few never the less.

Did you know about this:

http://www.gva.ch/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-40/

If you are away for four days, then depending on where you live you can have your vignette reimbursed and help with parking costs.

I've just noticed that you live in 33, and that is way over in the west and not on the list, unless you have moved ofcourse.

We used this advantage thing several times and saved quite a few CHF!

Bon voyage!

[quote user="andyh4"]Soft cheese will be confiscated from hand luggage, but hard cheese is OK.[/quote]

So...soft cheese is "hard cheese" and hard cheese is fine?[:D]

Have a great time, Gem.  Geneva airport, remember when we were there and the banks of snow outside as soon as we got out of the terminal?

Give my love to T, STP!

Thanks Sweets! And this time a year ago we were schlepping up to Orisson on our 'practice run'!

Idun, I haven't moved but I'm joining my daughter for one night, we fly to the UK for three days, fly back to Geneva and then drive back to 33. Sort of going backwards to go forwards but I get to spend some precious time with my daughter who lives in Evian.

Seen people do that many times. Fly from Geneva or Lyons to Frankfurt or Zurich to go to Spain. Fly either of these airports to Rome to fly to the USA. Sometimes it suits and sometimes it simply suits the budget[Www]

I don't think that you'll get any advantage for such a short trip, but your daughter is probably more likely to be able to take advantage of this if she is away for a longer period.

A while since I have done this, so you'll have to read that link and see. Four days away and they give decent allowances towards the parking, but remember there are periods where it doesn't apply either, school hols etc.

When they first started it we ended up with parking for nothing, but it isn't  quite as good as that anymore,  but still IMO very generous, especially as they reimburse the cost of the vignette too.  As well as the voyage one has be have all the relevent paper work to get this back, but for us it was always worth it.