Liber t telepeage doofer

robert

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having tried to get a tag for my recent Le Mans trip, spending several wasted hours on several websites - I can shed some light Liber-tags for Brits.  I got a french mate of mine to contact the French call centre to find out what the crack was as I was seriously frustrated!

As you will have no doubt seen from loads of post on his site and others you used to be able to subscribe for a tag using a credit card on various French sites.  Well it seems that the French toll road operators have now banned credit cards and now you MUST have a French bank account - great!  Showstopper then....

Well no ... I stumbled across this new sanef service - see their UK site www.saneftolling.co.uk. It is a little more expensive but they have a UK call centre and you are invoiced in £.

I subscribed, received my tag the following day (nice!) and travelled down to Le Mans and it was absolutely fantastic!  Just loved speeding past the other brits queuing at the toll plazas!

If you hate queuing like me or scrabbling around for change I would thoroughly recommend you get one.

My Alis tag stopped working suddenly. I posted it back, assuming the battery had expired. A (smaller) replacement came back from Alis by return, with a note saying it wasn't the battery - the unit itself had developed a fault.

Can't fault their service, especially as it's all completely free.

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]My Alis tag stopped working suddenly. I posted it back, assuming the battery had expired. A (smaller) replacement came back from Alis by return, with a note saying it wasn't the battery - the unit itself had developed a fault.

Can't fault their service, especially as it's all completely free.[/quote]

Ours started making strangled beeps at toll barriers so we emailed Alis, who rang back the next day (I'd emailed on a public holiday). They sent out a replacement doofer and a reply-paid sticker to send back the old one.

Regards

Pickles

Update June 2011

We went over in May for our extended stay, we went into the office at Amiens and asked to swap the doofer for a new one. The lady looked up our account and said you have to pay with a French account now and gave us a leaflet explaining this. The leaflet stated this was for NEW customers as from 01.01 2011. We showed her this and stated we are not new customers only renewing the doofer, I also showed her a copy of the e-mail we received when we renewed the UK card number, usual French shrug followed and proceeded to issue the new doofer.

Steve

I clicked the quote button on my last post when I replied why hasn't it been included in my reply? any ideas

• 3 weeks later...
You can now get a Liber-t tag from Sanef's UK office and pay by direct debit from a UK bank account - this gets around the whole credit card / French bank account issue.  I signed up for one at http://www.saneftolling.co.uk.

We've just got back from Nice and it saved us loads of time on the

autoroutes. The look on the faces of French motorists as we cruised

down the automated 30kph Liber-t lanes was priceless. They obviously

thought we had gone down the wrong lane but when the barrier lifted and

we sailed through we were the ones laughing! We had a tag a few years

ago that we got from Sanef in France but to get a new one in France you

now need to have a French bank account - they are still allowing

existing customers to pay by credit card but the doors are closed to new

subscribers and payment by credit card is due to be phased out

altogether by the end of 2012. The Sanef UK service requires you to pay

from a UK bank account by direct debit.

I ordered a tag late Tuesday afternoon and it arrived Wednesday morning -

I can't praise Sanef UK enough for their customer service as it has

been excellent. We're off to Bordeaux in September so will definitely

be using it again.

It comes at a price though.

Might be worth considering for those without French bank accounts but if you need a French account for other things, the ALIS deal wins hands down - it's totally free for exactly same service. (Pity French banking isn't free.)

Alan

I know the Alis deal is popular - especially with many in Normandy and Brittany but most companies - except SANEF - seem to have delas and for some traveling south the deals from for example ASF or APRR can be a better shot than ALIS - as with all these things, shop around and see what fits you.