Liber t telepeage doofer

robert

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Frederick"]Doing 70 ish on the motorway..Range Rover with UK plate passes me like I was standing still ....Arrive at the toll he is in the line I nip through the empty red reserved lane ... It took him about 10 minutes to pass me again ...the look on their faces as they  stared at me  thinking " How did he get in front ? "  was  worth the hasstle of applying for the doofer .[/quote]

Yes, I think doing that is great - especially if you have Brit plates on your car.

It always amazes me how many French registered cars are in the queues

Paul

As I said, not a recommendation (I've never contemplated using them), but I assume the OP is in the UK and I would guess that trying to open an account with anyone else would involve a visit to France, make an appointment with the bank and then come back at the appointed time (maybe a week later) to open the account with the reams of documents that they might ask for, (but probably won't. provided you have them with you):

Passports

Birth certificates

Marriage certificates

Divorce papers

Uk bank statements

Pay slips  (almost certainly going back one more month than you have brought with you)

Mortgage statement

Utility bills

UK notification of tax coding

100m swimming certificate

Blue Peter Badge

etc

etc

I know we generally only do this once but you surely cannot have forgotten the rigmarole.[:D]

EDIT:  Just openned the Britline link you posted -  I don't think I missed anything  [:D][:D]

[quote user="andyh4"]

As I said, not a recommendation (I've never contemplated using them), but I assume the OP is in the UK and I would guess that trying to open an account with anyone else would involve a visit to France, make an appointment with the bank and then come back at the appointed time (maybe a week later) to open the account with the reams of documents that they might ask for, (but probably won't. provided you have them with you):

Passports

Birth certificates

Marriage certificates

Divorce papers

Uk bank statements

Pay slips  (almost certainly going back one more month than you have brought with you)

Mortgage statement

Utility bills

UK notification of tax coding

100m swimming certificate

Blue Peter Badge

etc

etc

I know we generally only do this once but you surely cannot have forgotten the rigmarole.[:D]

EDIT:  Just openned the Britline link you posted -  I don't think I missed anything  [:D][:D]

[/quote]

We had put an offer on a property that was accepted (unfortunately the seller did not turn up to sign (will not bother going in to it) / fortunately because we ended up with a better house). Mentioned to the agent about opening a bnk account and they took us over to the local branch of Banque Populaire and very simple to open an account.

We eventually bought in a different area and very easily moved the account to a local branch.

HOWEVER do not open a French bank account just for a doofer, it will be prove to increase the toll costs considerably - bank accounts in France have fairly hefty fees associated with them.

Paul

[quote user="PaulT"]

HOWEVER do not open a French bank account just for a doofer, it will be prove to increase the toll costs considerably - bank accounts in France have fairly hefty fees associated with them.

Paul

[/quote]

And we don't want the same queues forming at the telepage gate as the others [;-)][:D]

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="andyh4"]But if all else fails there is Credit Agricole Britline. 

http://www.britline.com/[/quote]You'd have to be pretty desperate to go through their A/C opening pularva for the sake of a doofah.

Check it out here:

http://www.britline.com/pdf/account_opening_pack.pdf

[/quote]

A very interesting read - they certainly want to put you through the hoops. Glad I did not go the Britline route

Paul

The other point to bear in mind about Britline is that they are nothing more than a branch of CA whom I think most will know are not a nation wide bank in the way most others are but are more like a franchise which can cause lots of difficulties if you happen to move somewhere outside their actual operating region. Pay in a cheque in another region for instance and all they do is post it to your own branch. Drawing significant cash over the counter in case of unexpected need or emergency may prove difficult too.

Definitely an option of last resort.

[quote user="AnOther"]Drawing significant cash over the counter in case of unexpected need or emergency may prove difficult too.

[/quote]

Impossible more like, at CA money only moves via the machines and is subject to daily limits.

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="PaulT"]

[/quote]

And we don't want the same queues forming at the telepage gate as the others [;-)][:D]

[/quote]

Ha ! Yes, it does sound daft to do this just for a doofah.....guess I will just expect to join the queues. Must be a simpler way to get the device though.....

[quote user="crossy67"]If you can't get a doofer unless you have a French bank account or address then how do intercontinental hauliers manage?
[/quote]

They pay at the tolls either in cash or with a card.

An artic with a transponder (cant bring myself to use that stupid phrase) would make a real mess of the telepéage lane height restrictions.

Quote;

"They pay at the tolls either in cash or with a card.

An artic with a transponder (cant bring myself to use that stupid phrase) would make a real mess of the telepéage lane height restrictions".

Not quite correct Chancer. If the size of vehicle restricts the driver from using the exclusive height restricted lane, then simply use one of the other lanes !

Edit. Sorry ANO, crossed post.

A lot of the haulage companies we service have payage transponders in their windscreens (we have to remove them when we replace the screens).  I know they are for Germany but not sure about France, I need to ask the question next time we pay them a visit.

Totally different system between Germany and France.

However goods vehicles can get transponders (and buses - the Satobus from Lyon to the airport had one).  What payment arrangements are made I do not know but many hauliers will have a French account methinks.

There is a company called Tolltickets ( http://www.tolltickets.com ) they are based in germany and they do the doofers for the haulage firms, they can now do a doofer for private motorists its a liber-t box you don`t need a french bank account you just have to register with them, the only downside is that they charge you 35 euros per year for the doofer plus a one off charge of 7 euros to activate it .

Also reading previous posts about the french firm ALIS I dowloaded the contract and gave it to a french speaking lady at my school she said reading the terms and conditions it does state you need a french bank account OR one recognised in france, she mentioned Barclays H,s,b,c,. and Banco popular, its all very confusing as due to the fact I usualy drive through france to spain 4 times a year Iwould like one of these doofers. I would appreciate any comment constuctive or otherwise about this.

casa99

Hi Burgundy Boy

We swapped our old liber-t, which was about 5 years old, for a new slimline one on the way back to UK in late August. We stopped at the Sanef offices signposted off the autoroute just before the start peage north of Paris on the A1.

We had used a UK credit card to pay the monthly invoices but when I changed the liber-t I had to change to a french bank account, not even a french debit card was acceptable, it had to be via a french bank account. I think this is to be fully implemented to all accounts held by non french residents by December this year if I understood correctly.

Paul 

[quote user="Théière"]

[quote user="AnOther"]Drawing significant cash over the counter in case of unexpected need or emergency may prove difficult too.

[/quote]

Impossible more like, at CA money only moves via the machines and is subject to daily limits.

[/quote]

To be more precise - at CA-Normandie you can withdraw as much cash over the counter as you wish but only at specified times throughout the week, and the amount you can withdraw at the machine has a WEEKLY limit not a daily limit.

Very useful thread this, I have downloaded the forms and am going to get me a Doofer, thanks all.