BF partial lay-offs and cutting crossings

Val_2

Today's paper says for the first time intheir history, BF are partially laying-off many workers over the winter period and cutting crossings. All due to the downturn in passenger numbers coming from the UK and the state of the sterling economy. Big meeting today at BAI to make the measures, so strikes could follow and xmas plans disrupted by cutting routes etc.

Its reported in this one :http://www.letelegramme.com/ig/generales/economie/brittany-ferries-mesures-de-chomage-partiel-cet-hiver-20-10-2011-1470931.php

This morning, the direction of Brittany Ferries is expected to announce staff representatives a draft of partial unemployment for personal sedentary this winter.

L a pound is still low compared to the euro and British neighbors, suffering from the economic crisis, much less travel. For these reasons and despite its success in Spain, ferries Britttany (BAI) is struggling to balance its books for three years. All economies are, it seems, to do good. Recently, the shipping company has announced its hotel business deréintégrer (Serestel) she had "spun" a few years ago. Then, it reduced the number of rotations of some of its lines. This time, the direction of the AIB is considering measures mass of short, time of winter downtime of ships, and deletions seasonal rotations. So far, this slack period was devoted to staff training and leave of employees working in various ports of call on the ground. A first for the company Brittany Between 80 and 100 sedentary (stop, administration and storage) may well be affected the short-to dates to be based on changes in activity in the ports of Roscoff, Cherbourg, St Malo and Ouistreham. First and supported by employment center, the staff will likely be asked to pay their holidays according to procedures that the company will set up according to the labor laws. For the direction of Brittany Ferries, this decision is a first. For the staff it's a real surprise and a source of additional concern. Nothing had filtered before displaying the agenda of the meeting today. Meeting was to focus on a different subject, namely the change of social system of some of the employees (Serestel). Asked yesterday, Martine Jourdren, the president and CEO of the shipping company, declined to comment on this information before the works council to be held this morning. A general meeting of

Unfortunately it dosn't take a lot to spark something off here, look at the number of times the dockers have downed tools just before the ferry arrived. I live in this region so know many who work for BAI locally and they have to rely on it because work is very scarce here atthe moment. I can't see them running nearly empty ships throughout the winter season at the moment so withdrawals may happen at very short notice. When we first came here 22years ago, there were no winter sailings apart from Caen which is 4.5hrs drive and we used to do that and as more brits bought here and crossed, they began to sail just once per week from Nov to Feb and now they have been going regularly with St.Malo too going through the winter season.

My son his wife and two children use my place in the Vendee for their main summer holiday. They pay the top band peak price for August with cabin both ways Portsmouth to St Malo He told me this year the BF ferry cost was about the same as it would cost to fly the family to Portugal on a low cost airline and take a cheap self catering apartment .

My daughter uses Condor as she is only 15mins from Weymouth or Poole other times, it can be upto 50% cheaper on many of the crossings she does and gets here 6 hours quicker too. Anyway she was thinking of coming home next month to finish her holiday entitlement from the UK job and it worked out far far cheaper to take a foot passenger return ticket from Ports/St.Malo and then hire a car on this side for ten days than bring her own car over as she usually does. Flying is not an option either because Brest has finished Flybe S'hampton currently.