Sea France......any info yet??

Frank

Hi, has anyone heard/seen any further info on Sea France relating to the sailings for December. Their website just has an 'emergency' message about administrators awaiitng sea worthiness of boats....eeeek!! Would existing ticket holders be better advised to pay for alternate routes/providers one wonders, any advice/help greatly appreciated, many thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Called them today as we have a booking for 16th Dec'.

Very very helpful. Gave me three options.

1] They are in negotiations with purchasers, and it might be by then, they'll be running again.

2] Travel to Dover as normal, check in, and IF Sea France are not sailing they will get us on another operator, if they have room.

3] Give them the booking number, they'll credit my bank account today (as I used a debit card), and I'm free to shop around.

I took the refund and shopped around, and got a crossing about the same time, but for twice the price, but as we had only paid £30, and the new crossing is £65, just before Christmas, I'm not too dissapointed.

The talk of those who should know, is Sea France have too much by way of fleet, staff, and facilities, and will resume in one form or another within six months, either under new ownership or a reduced service with temporary government backing.

In summary though, book elsewhere and get your money while you can!

Hi f1steveuk

Many thanks for your reply.  They told me pretty much the same and if I booked alternative providers, I could claim a refund for the return which won't be used, but as it is in Euro, will have to contact the French helpline. I figured they wouldn't be sailing so booked the train instead!  Thanks again

Jetlag  

The SeaFrance fleet (or at least some of them) are parked up in Calais and have been for some time now, no doubt racking up lots of fees which have little chance of being paid, then maybe Calais Port slap a court order on them and sell them off to recover the debt.

Looking at them last Sunday it would seem there is a small maintenance crew on board each of them but they are effectively mothballed.  I would think there is quite a lot of time and effort required to get them into service again - if ever!

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16469300

French source: http://www.ouest-france.fr/actu/actuDet_-SeaFrance.-Stupeur-et-colere-a-l-annonce-de-la-liquidation_39382-2030219_actu.Htm

All may not yet be lost. Eurotunnel has apparently expressed an interest in a new bid after the company has done it sums. It sounds strange, but SeaFrance's last owner (before going into receivership) was of course a train company.

Telegraph : 14.23 SeaFrance has stopped operating after being officially liquidated by the French courts. A planned €200m bail-out from the French government was ruled illegal and a bid from SeaFrance employees to form a cooperative to take charge of the firm was also rejected. The last remaining hope is a bid from Eurotunnel, which is currently "working to see what the fair value of the assets" is.