Fresh eggs in hand luggage?

Jo

Does anyone know if you can bring fresh eggs in your hand luggage with Ryanair? And before anyone points out that you can buy fresh eggs in France, these are fertilised ones of a certain breed that we can't get here, and are intended for the incubator, not the frying pan!!!!!!!

The rules

Liquids carried in the aircraft cabin such as drinks, toothpaste, cosmetic creams or gels must be carried in a transparent plastic bag - maximum capacity 1 litre - and no container may hold more than 100 ml. Liquid containers larger than 100 ml must be placed in checked baggage. The volume restriction does not apply to medicines and baby food..

I know the restrictions as I fly quite frequently, I just wondered if it applied to eggs?? Each egg is probably less than 100ml but does the shell count as a container???????? If I ask a friend to bring me out some fertilised eggs, would they insist on opening each one?????? I just wondered, given the amount of people who keep particular strains of chickens/ducks here, if anyone had tried it before?

[quote user="Jo"]Each egg is probably less than 100ml but does the shell count as a container???????? [/quote]I don't know what else would you call it but I think you are looking at it from the wrong perspective, subject to it being under 100ml it's the contents which really matter not what they are in and I can't see which part of 'liquids and gels'  the contents of an egg would fail to fall into ?

Neither can I which is why I am reluctant to try and get them brought over if they are going to end up in the bin!! Even if someone is there to take them back in UK if they are not allowed on the flight, as there is no-one else nearby with an incubator they would still be 'wasted' :-( Seems a shame, which is why I'm trying to find out beforehand.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Jo, how are you going to keep them warm in transit?

Are you planning to sit on them like a mother hen or slip them into your underwear perhaps? [:$]

[/quote]

Now that could be incredibly messy[:-))][:-))] Actually, they don't need to be kept warm in transit, normal ambient temperature is fine it's only after you start incubating them that they need a constant temperature[geek]

[quote user="fisherman"]I am travelling down to 86 at the end of the month by car. Maybe I can be of assistance.[/quote]

That would be very kind fisherman, whereabouts in the UK are you? I would have to do some homework to see if I could get them to you by the end of the month[geek]Not sure yet of availability. We are right at the bottom of 86 in Availles-Limouzine on the border with the Charente 16, about 15 mins from the town of Confolens, would that still be viable?

last year I flew from Bergerac with Ryanair and I had some fresh eggs and a punnet of our cherries in my hand luggage. I explained the eggs were from our chickens and a present for a friend, as were the cherries, and both passed through.