From England to Avignon--a different way

I was asked recently by an old friend in East of England how to best get to our home near Pont-Saint-Esprit ,Gard, 30130.

I thought it might be worth posting the info here in case it might be of help to others, as it is not widely known---or indeed used [:(].

Well, our nearest airport is in lovely Avignon. To get from East England to Avignon, take one of the 2 daily scheduled flights from sleepy little NORWICH AIRPORT to AMSTERDAM : then it is an easy 99 Euro flight from AMSTERDAM to AVIGNON   [:)].

As an extra, I might add that Amsterdam is worth a few days break if you have never visited the city. If you wish to do so, I highly recommend renting a luxury houseboat ---there are some exceptional ones near the Central Station. As this is a one-off posting for a friend, and I'm not sure of the rules governing advertising on this Forum, I will not mention the apartment company we have used in the past [;-)]   But they're easily googleable [I]

If anybody requires a taxi service from Avignon Airport to our country chateau [:D], we will of course send the limo [:P]

Seriously, hope that handy travel service is of help-----quite a few visitors here have used it and have been delighted by the peace and serenity of travelling from somewhere other than the dreaded Stanstead and other London Airports.

Look forward to seeing you at Chez Nous for the grape harvest when the autumn comes. But let's enjoy this great Summer first. If it carries on anything like last year, when we ate outside for every meal for 8 consecutive months, it's gonna be great again.

Off to tend the vines now [:D][8-)]

Then it's off with the shotgun and Labs to get the birds  for tetras casserole. It's a tough life but someone has to do it [:D]

Ummm ................ Amsterdam to Avignon?

I thought that the only destinations from Avignon were Southampton, Birmingham and London City.  I just double-checked on the airport website and confirmed it.

Do you know something that the airport doesn't know, or is their website just out of date?

There seem to be Avignon to Amsterdam flights quoted . . . but only with a correspondance at London City!!

http://www.avignon.aeroport.fr/Vols-en-correspondance-Avignon-Glasgow-Guernsey-Jersey-Belfast-Dublin-Newcastle-Edimbourg

Angela

Amsterdam AMS, great for switching planes, visiting the city, nah, don't like it at all, cold awful soulless city. Worst place I've been to in Holland and I have holidayed there several times. Living in the mountains, the flatness was sort of fascinating and I just enjoyed being there.

It looks like the route I favoured was a brief experiment. Now it has gone.

I still highly recommend using Norwich Airport, which is a lovely little place if you live anywhere on the East of England. Direct flights to Amsterdam still daily scheduled-----but no longer direct from Amsterdam to Avignon.

Good news is-----you can fly direct from Norwich to Paris, and then on to Avignon.

It's nearly as good as the previous route I had mentioned.

I'm like a representative of the owners of Norwich Airport [:D]

[quote user="Ron Bolus"]

Good news is-----you can fly direct from Norwich to Paris, and then on to Avignon.

[:D]

[/quote]

Air France discontinued their flights to Avignon several years ago.

However, if flying in to Paris CDG, then transferring to a TGV down to Avignon is a feasible option.

[quote user="Ron Bolus"]

[:D]

[/quote]

Air France discontinued their Paris - Avignon flights several years ago.

However, if flying in to Paris CDG, then switching to the TGV for Paris - Avignon (or many other places for that matter) is a feasible option. 

Yes Norman, the TGV (in particular the new line south of Lyon) did for flights in to Paris out of Avignon and Nimes. I'm surprised that they lasted as long as they did.

Montpellier flights in to Paris continue, but I suspect that most of the traffic is for onward travel to exotic parts.

I can see Montpellier (a major commercial centre, but I don't need to tell you that & good for the Herault / Gard area) + Marseille + Carcassonne being the surviving UK destinations, with the addition of Perpignan & Beziers seasonally.

If it was me deciding, that's what I'd do.

to[quote user="Gardian"]

Yes Norman, the TGV (in particular the new line south of Lyon) did for flights in to Paris out of Avignon and Nimes. I'm surprised that they lasted as long as they did.

Montpellier flights in to Paris continue, but I suspect that most of the traffic is for onward travel to exotic parts.

I can see Montpellier (a major commercial centre, but I don't need to tell you that & good for the Herault / Gard area) + Marseille + Carcassonne being the surviving UK destinations, with the addition of Perpignan & Beziers seasonally.s

If it was me deciding, that's what I'd do.

[/quote]

I think that the Béziers flights are flourishing a bit better than Carcassonne, but I may be being a bit blinkered.

There is all round Béziers-Bristol and Luton, and seasonal Manchester, and Edinburgh.