Autoroute tolls for tall cars

michelin79

My Xsara Picasso with roofbox is 2.2m in height. I've just received the September bill for my Alis doofer on which I was charged the Class 2 rate for the return journey at the end of September and the Class 1 rate for the southward journey at the beginning of the month. I believe (but not 100% sure) that I have always previously been charged the Class 1 rate. On checking the Alis website I find that the height limit is 2m. It's presumably improbable that the height limit was changed during September. Do I vaguely remember it being stated on here that normal cars with roofboxes and/or trailers are Class 1? If so, can anyone point me to anywhere that states this.

I can't find the reference either  but I agree seeing that normal cars with roofbox or bikes etc are Class 1

I can only think that maybe you took an automatic toll booth in one direction where the height limit would be automatically read by a sensor and a 'manned' tollbooth in the other direction where either the height is not measured or the operator can select the class and the default is class 1 even if you are using a Doofer.

Either way, I would like to know because I think my new car plus topbox will be over 2 metres

You can find the exemption here

http://www.alis-sa.com/pdf/Classification.pdf

N’ont pas d’incidence sur le calcul de la hauteur totale :

- Le chargement sur le toit d’un véhicule ou d’une remorque

- Les accessoires, tels que : antennes, coffres ou barres de toit,

gyrophares, enseignes taxi, paraboles, lanternaux, panneaux solaires