Coincidence? or Cartel

just john

Planning a week (or even 5 day) hol over the New Year; Whether by short or long sea crossing, chunnel or direjet air the cost (taking into account other costs, fuel parking etc) seems to work out the same within a tenner!?!

What a crazy conspiracy!

What a nonsense, where's the competition?

My recent UK visit was 2 weeks, €26 outbound, €21 return, both daytime short crossing ferries reasonably happy with that although Myferrylink wont have been, they carrie so few vehicles that it would not have covered even a fraction of  the salaries, the fuel bill or the boat finance repayments.

I think because this exercise affects your particular journey, you've jumped on the conspiracy theory. We do the England/France journey at least 12 times a year, South London to Loir et Cher and don't find any lack of competition at all. For us the Tunnel wins hands down every time, for convenience, financially and time wise.  

[quote user="Chancer"]My recent UK visit was 2 weeks, €26 outbound, €21 return, both daytime short crossing ferries reasonably happy with that although Myferrylink wont have been, they carrie so few vehicles that it would not have covered even a fraction of  the salaries, the fuel bill or the boat finance repayments.[/quote]

Hi,

How do you get these crossings so cheaply?

Since Speedferries sank, I dont think I have crossed for under £40. Are you booking far in advance? Is the old "one leg of two cheap day returns" kind of things?

Cheers,

Got it in one Dave [:D]

I used to try and hide the fact, travel out with one operator and back with another, now I dont even bother I go there and back with whoever is the cheapest which for most of this year has been Myferrylink.

DFDS can be cheap but you have to travel in the middle of the night to really profit from it.

Very soon will be the time to use Eurotunnel for only €15 or £15 dependant on direction, they make you book this by phone now so that they can read you the T&C's including the threat of backcharging you (and a threat is all it is) they tell you the call is recorded and you have to say "I agree" but they still dont backcharge, in all the years I have been doing this none of the operators have enforced their terms and conditions but it serves to frighten the majority into paying higher prices for single tickets or period returns.

I often get the same woman on the phone at Eurotunnel and she now jokes with me "je suppose que quand vous serez pret que vous rentrerez avec nous en utilisant le même offre!"