LD Lines/DFDS

Coppi

Can anyone explain the connection between LD Lines and DFDS.

We have used LD since the demise of P&O on the Western Channel routes however we now find that the service appears to be administered by DFDS.

Dos anyone know what's going on ??

Les.

Despite holding a Frequent Traveller card they have been a bit remiss in letting people know what's going on, only after booking my trip did they let me know about the offer of books of 10 or 20 fixed price tickets, which can be shared and used by friends in different vehicles!
Though having been caught by Speedferries on a similar deal it might make you wonder how long they offer availability.
Still seems like a good deal though.

Dear Customer,

As one of our regular passengers, LD Lines is pleased to advise you of our latest offer of prepaid tickets in bulk.

This year, we will have two cross channel offers.

We offer you to purchase 10 crossings for a standard size car (up to 1.85m in height and 5m in length) and up to 2 passengers, including standard reclining seat accommodation for £680 on Portsmouth-Le Havre and £545 on Newhaven-Dieppe.

Buy a minimum of two lots of ten tickets and we will offer you two additional similar single tickets.

The 10 tickets are to be used before 10th January, 2014.

Following receipt of your registration form and full payment, you will receive your membership number by return.

Unlike previous years, we will be able to take your payment by credit card either in Euros or Pounds without any card fees.

The crossings, in either direction, can be undertaken by yourself, or can be passed on to parents and friends.

All reservations must be made to [email protected] using the attached booking form.

Please note the number of vehicles allocated to this offer will be limited on some sailings.

In order that we may provide you with the best possible service, you are advised to make your reservations as early as possible. Under no circumstances will reservations be accepted at the terminal on the day of departure.

Should you require a supplementary service, such as cabin accommodation or transport of a caravan or trailer, your request should be confirmed and paid for when reserving your crossing, and will be subject to availability. Please see attached 2013 Price List.

Before you confirm your bookings, we strongly advise you to check our website for any cheaper special offers, especially in the lower season.

Please find attached full terms and conditions of this offer, together with a registration form that should be returned to the address given below as early as possible.

Please note that the availability of this offer is limited and subscription can be suspended at any time.

Yours sincerely,

The Subscription Department

LD Lines

Terminal de la Citadelle

Quai Auguste Brostrom

B.P 90746 76060 Le Havre

0033 235 197 863

Terminal de la Citadelle

Quai de Brostrom

BP90746

F-76060 Le Havre cedex

Office: + 33 (0)235197863

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail message and any attachments are confidential
and may be privileged or otherwise protected by legal rules, and for
use by the addressee only. If the message is received by anyone other
than the addressee, please return the message to the sender and delete
it and any attachments from your computer without copying it or
disclosing its contents to anyone. Whilst all reasonable care has been
taken to avoid the transmission of viruses, no responsibility is
accepted in this regard and the recipient should scan and carry out
such other checks as it considers appropriate.

• 1 month later...
It seems LD Lines got into financial troubles and DFDS took over leaving LD Lines with just 18% in the company. Hardly surprising given all the moving of ferries, changing routes, chartering ferries including the big CAT. Now that DFDS have taken charge maybe there will be some sense in what they do and put a second boat on portsmouth le havre. Brittany are putting a CAT on this route in may for the season so I would think that will not do LD and good.

Also annoying that now they have French crew and Capatin the Captain never makes an announcement to the passengers as do other ferries and all aircraft, all you get is a receptionist making an announcement on his behalf . probably cannot speak English or is too lazy, I think it is a disgrace. I travelled the other day Le Havre Portsmouth for 37.00 pounds, they must be getting desperate.

[quote user="tbfrance"]Also annoying that now they have French crew and Capatin the Captain never makes an announcement to the passengers as do other ferries and all aircraft, all you get is a receptionist making an announcement on his behalf . probably cannot speak English or is too lazy, I think it is a disgrace. [/quote]

Words fail me.

Would you describe yourself as a lover of all things French?

First time poster so probably a troll or someone returning under another identity.I would prefer that a captain of a vessel should be qualified and competent to control and take responsibility of the craft as well as the lives of all souls on board, the ability and confidence to make public announcements and in other languages doesnt really strike me as a necessity.

Should the capitaine have une voix mielleuse as well?

Oh dont forget that he must also look presentable in his whites especially when he invites passengers to eat at the captains table, the captain of the Costa Concordia had all of those attributes [;-)]

It may be incidental but the IMO (International Maritime Organization) requires that

English shall be used on the bridge as the working language for bridge-to-bridge and bridge-to-shore safety communications as well as for communications on board between the pilot and bridge watchkeeping personnel

• 1 year later...
Its a cross Channel ferry for heavens sake, as cheap as chips, not a World Cruise. Frankly on the night ferry I want to kip, not listen to anybody except the safety announcement, as I have a bit of a jaunt, either side. For a third the price of Brittany it could be Capn Pugwash for all I care.

Teapot,   Why does any thread about travel have to turn into a Ryanair bashing post? I don't get it. If you don't like Ryanair, don't use it! Simple. For someone who seems not to want to leave France at all (I refer to your post on the latest thread about Spanish traffic laws) it seems unlikely that you have the necessary experience to criticise Ryanair, let alone any other operator!

As for docking at 3am, well, if you want to get somewhere early in the morning it seems to be one reasonable way of doing it, otherwise you could cross at a "respectable " time (read "more expensive") and spend the night in a hotel perhaps? [blink]

Ok Sid, but you are well and truly on the wrong tack here, Place tongue well in cheek.  I wish the forum's would ban RA bashing threads, ok to post info but we are all bored with someone who rambles on about them when if they have an axe to grind contact RA

I love Ryanair and all they have done in providing bargain travel. The point was about announcements, the fact that the ferry and I have been happy on that service too arrives at early o'clock would be worse if we were greeted by a RA type welcome to france announcement.

Likewise on Bugsy's thread, again of course people want to leave France, again tongue in cheek remark. 

Same applies to all budget services, whether it's flights, ferries or buying a car. If you want luxury motoring you can buy a top spec Mercedes but have to pay dearly for it. If you just want to get from A to B as cheaply as possible, you buy a Kia or a small Ford, or whatever suits your budget.

I think the budget ferries are great for people like me who just want to get from A to B - or rather from the English coast to the French one, and vice versa - with the minimum fuss and cost. No frills required. If I was going on a cruise - which is exceedingly unlikely - my priorities would be different and I would expect to pay accordingly.

And the likes of Eurotunnel would of course charge more were it not for the price competition set by the cheaper ferries.

Some people don't half want it both ways.

[quote user="Théière"]Ok Sid, but you are well and truly on the wrong tack here, Place tongue well in cheek.  I wish the forum's would ban RA bashing threads, ok to post info but we are all bored with someone who rambles on about them when if they have an axe to grind contact RA
I love Ryanair and all they have done in providing bargain travel. The point was about announcements, the fact that the ferry and I have been happy on that service too arrives at early o'clock would be worse if we were greeted by a RA type welcome to france announcement.

Likewise on Bugsy's thread, again of course people want to leave France, again tongue in cheek remark. 
[/quote]I would hate see such blatant censorship on this forum. People should be free to express their opinions provided they comply with forum rules. If someone's post irritates you them just skim over it and forget it or post a rebuttal.

[quote user="tbfrance"]
Also annoying that now they have French crew and Capatin the Captain never makes an announcement to the passengers as do other ferries and all aircraft, all you get is a receptionist making an announcement on his behalf . probably cannot speak English or is too lazy, I think it is a disgrace. I travelled the other day Le Havre Portsmouth for 37.00 pounds, they must be getting desperate.
[/quote]

Receptionist (if thats what you can call someone that spends the whole crossing trying to avoid passengers!) makes all the announcements on Myferrylink.

In fact all the operators use pre-recorded safety announcements and its very rare to hear anyone giving an announcement on weather conditions etc.

Bus and train drivers dont usually make announcements and thats all a short crossing ferry is.

And I bet you have never heard an English ferry captain giving an announcement in French, is that a disgrace also?