Passports

David

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Rob Roy"]If we had realised how much it would cost we would have done it in the UK when we were back there last Christmas[/quote]I don't know how long you were there for but if you'd used the 7 day or same day service you probably wouldn't have saved so much.

For an adult renewal the 7 day service costs £97 and the same day service £114 and if you take into account the cost of travelling to the relevant passport office it may have ended up costing as much if not more !

Full scale of fees HERE

I note from the Embassy site that the fee is €176 so why did it cost you €187 I wonder ?

I can never understand why people risk having their passport applications rejected by using photo booths.

A professional photographer only costs a few €uros and since French passport photograph requirements are the same as those for the UK there should never be a problem. By the time you factor in having to pay double postage costs if they are rejected you'll end up being out of pocket.

You don't need your passport photo's counter signing for an adult passport renewal, only for children under 16.

ErnieY

The reason it cost €187 instead of €176 is because you have to pay the cost of the postal order and return postage

I've just measured my face on my photo-booth pictures.

They must be more than 32mm and less than 36mm.

Mine is 35mm apart from one hair that was sticking up at the time...............[:D]

Does one hair constitute a fail I wonder.

Back to the booth with the Brylcreem I guess...............[:D][:D]

[quote user="Bugbear"]Mine is 35mm apart from one hair that was sticking up at the time...............[/quote]One less thing for me to worry about then [:D]

[quote user="Bugbear"]6.5MB file just to tell me how I must present a photo.[/quote]That's because it's a word document with multiple embedded photos, just about the most inefficent way you can imagine to present the information, especially when there is a 1.6mb pdf HERE !

Don't you just love government departments.

The big download fron the passport site states min=32mm - max=36mm.

The one ernies just posted stated min=29mm - max=34mm.

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/passportcrap.jpg[/IMG]

sorry about the poor quality.................

Confused, moi !

[:)]

[quote user="Benjamin"]I can never understand why people risk having their passport applications rejected by using photo booths.

[/quote]

In my case it was something to do with the booth being plastered with official looking 'recommended for passports/DLs etc etc' signs.[;-)]  I will probably follow your advice next time.

[quote user="derf"]You don't need your passport photo's counter signing

for an adult passport renewal, only for children under 16.

[/quote]

I definitely had to have mine countersigned, just a few weeks ago.

I think Cathy and others really need to plough through the forms for themselves, as what you say suggests the rules may have changed recently.

BTW there was some conflicting advice given on one pile of bumf and another, about the photo requirements. I phoned the Embassy up and explained it but they didn't seem particularly interested. Something to do with the background colour, if I remember correctly.

derf wrote: "You don't need your passport photo's counter signing

for an adult passport renewal, only for children under 16."

Tresco wrote:

"I definitely had to have mine countersigned, just a few weeks ago.

I think Cathy and others really need to plough through the forms for themselves, as what you say suggests the rules may have changed recently.

BTW there was some conflicting advice given on one pile of bumf and another, about the photo requirements. I phoned the Embassy up and explained it but they didn't seem particularly interested. Something to do with the background colour, if I remember correctly"

I also renewed my passport in November without having the photo countersigned, Here is an extract from the web site:

"Please note that photos must be countersigned for children’s (under 16)

passport applications and for first-time adult passport applications.

Someone (including French nationals) of professional standing who is

not a family member and who has known the applicant or parents of the

applicant for at least two years can act as counter-signatory."

[quote user="derf"]

I also renewed my passport in November without having the photo countersigned.

[/quote]

Which is why I suggested the rules may have changed recently...though

it's hard to imagine why the conditions to confirms ones ID should have

become less irksome. My 'confirmer' had to sign the pics and add his DOB, address, profession and current passport details into a section of the application form.

If that was 'wrong' the application would have been returned, surely?

I have just checked and I applied for mine in August. Doesn't time fly?

Edited to add; I just asked the OH and he reminded me that I rang the Embassy with a couple of questions and this was one of them - by telephone it was confirmed I needed the counter sig etc.

BB

Terrific huh.

I now have a mental vison of two jobsworths, sitting opposite each other in the passport office measuring photographs to strict sub-millimetric standards, but each working from the different documents.

Too far fetched; you think ???????????? [:-))]

Here's a thing. Hairstyles can come and go of course and can range from this:

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/big_hair.jpg[/IMG]

to complete chrome dome, rather makes a mockery of demanding such precision does it not [blink]

When Mr Clair renewed his passport, I phoned the British embassy in Paris to explain we had not been in France long enough to have known anyone for the two years required for countersigning the photos. The reply was that , as it was a renewal, the photos would be accepted without a signature.

Things might have changed since or maybe the person I spoke to now works in the equivalent of what we call Triffouillis-les-Oies...[Www]

We realised that our kids pasports had expired 10 days before we were due to go back to the UK. We applied by post and received a rejection letter after 5 days stating that the photos were not clear enough. After making a phone call to the British Embassy, we had new photos done in the local photographers shop and I took them with the application to Paris.

The lady in the embassy said to me that approx 60% of all applications are now rejected due to photos not being of good quality as it is a computer made desision. As I waited for her to process the applications onto her PC, she informed me that the embassy now has to send all applications electronically to the UK where they are processed and that I would have to return at 4pm but there was no guarantee that they would be ready. All the embassy are now is a post box so to speak.

Hope this is of assistance

Regards

Victor

Can someone help a thicky...............[:)]

Am I right in thinking that;

(a) A normal cheque is not acceptable I have to get a postal order from the post office.

(b) I have to add the cost of return postage to the total or do I buy a registered sticker from the post office which is then send with the application for the return of my passport.

Thanks for any help on this.

Gary.

1. that's correct.
  2. you must include a Recommandé slip with your application. This must be completed with your details so the passport can be returned to you. You must add the cost of the Recommandé return postage to the cost of your passport application.

Ensure you tick the correct insurance value on both your recommandé slips. It costs a little bit more, but garantees a refund should the passport be lost.

Have been away for most of the Christmas/New Year but was back for one day (27th) to find our passports (myself and 14 yr old son) having been delivered at the local post office in the village ( to be signed for of course) did all the work from the internet and had both photos signed.  Just sent it off with the recommended postage etc and followed the guidlines issued by the consulate in Paris.  May I thank all the folk on the Living France website for their guidlines and pointers.  Absolutely immaculate!!!!

I am just about to renew my passport and have printed out the forms from the internet but I wasn't sure what to do about the return postage to cover my new passport being sent back. Did you add an amount to your payment to cover this? Or did you send them a self addressed envelope with the postage already on it?

Hazel

[quote user="Le Plombier"]

It,s worth noting that the passport office in Paris accept witness signatures from a registered atrisan

I have done this on two occaisons for friends and there have been no problems

I have also renewed my passport via paris with no problems at all

Le Plombier

[/quote]

I must put my atrisan in a safe place until I need my passport renewing [:D]

p