Ferry from Calais to Dover

Pierre ZFP

[quote user="Théière"]

I would have to disagree with that point, P&O certainly do. I have hesitated to book due to work and when re-visited to book fares have increased drastically (3 days or less providing it's not a special date)

Less so on DFDS Newhaven Dieppe

[/quote]

I must be lucky then, mind you I don't leave it to 3 days or less. My visits are usually a couple of months or so each time and I book the return a week or so before I want to return to the UK.

If I revisit these websites before a booking I make sure any cookies etc. have been deleted from my computer as I have heard they know you have visited before.

Anyway good luck on your future crossings.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Department71"] My visits are usually a couple of months or so each time and I book the return a week or so before I want to return to the UK.

If I revisit these websites before a booking I make sure any cookies etc. have been deleted from my computer as I have heard they know you have visited before.

Anyway good luck on your future crossings.

[/quote]

An interesting point there, after looking at the crossings and not committing to booking, I have, on occasions received emails offering discount codes and/ or vouchers sometimes by post. Many a free breakfast or 20% off. I think some cookies are good.

QUOTE Dept71

"The shuttle you have to give a return date and if something happens whilst over in France you lose that slot..."

END QUOTE

The Eurotunnel booking staff told me once that it was much better to book two single crossings - outward and back - rather than to book it as a return ticket. As they are effectively two single crossings, that means you are free to change either booking up to a day before you travel. But if you book a return ticket, then you can't amend the second leg once you have made the outward journey.

May one suggest that if there is an election and the extreme left looks like winning that those of you who have a second home or who depend on a UK income abroad should make sure you have a substantial amount of euros to live on whilst the UK rate of exchange falls apart, or worse.

Remember (UK) second homes will be illegal or supetaxed

Further to my post of last night which was, as ever, written in shorthand.

We have grown very used to crossing the Channel freely but I remember when there were strict limits as to the money you could take, the amount being entered in the passport.

It occurred to me last night that, should there be a hard left Corbyn government and a capital flight then there might be restrictions placed on money you could take out of the country. This would make it very difficult to service second homes as well as impossible to purchase.

What would happen to pensions received in France?

And given the aversion to second homes of the left, second homes in the UK and perhaps France might be heavily taxed, forcing the sale of many.

So, our happy times of flipflopping over (or under) the Channel could come to a halt, or be much restricted unfortunately.

Why don't you two i*****s (only cus of the drift on this thread ?!) start another thread.

In terms of the title we used Dover/Calais 7.25am yesterday. For first time we had the full english with tea and:

1) minimal queue which has stopped us using any food shops on ferries before. This is because normally both quite expensive and by the time one has fought for it we are past wanting it.

2. Pretty much salivated in queue and found it superb. This may have been because for the last 3 weeks OH has instigated a vegan regime at our abode on the advice of our middle offspring and we has agreed to forego it whilst in France.

Again no complaints as per previous post on this thread. However after a couple of hours travelling in France really did have to stop and walk around for a bit. The meal had caught up on me. This was definitely over and above the safety stops I normally take.

Nb started journey at 2.00 am.

[quote user="woolybanana"]May one suggest that if there is an election and the extreme left looks like winning that those of you who have a second home or who depend on a UK income abroad should make sure you have a substantial amount of euros to live on whilst the UK rate of exchange falls apart, or worse.

Remember (UK) second homes will be illegal or supetaxed[/quote]

Please give links to any unbiased sites that suggest that there would be a link between a left of centre government and poor exchange rates. That is just another expat myth being regurgitated.

Perhaps not BinB.

Shadow Chancellor McDonald openly publicised that Labour had a contingency plan in the event of a run on the pound. Clearly they believe it is a strong enough possibility to warrant having a plan - but full marks for that. Better than the cons and their advance planning for a Brexit vote.

Richard51

I would politely ask you to look at the question that BinB posed. No reference to second homes, just a potential collapse in sterling. It was this and this alone that I replied to.

However in partial defence of our right of right wing ovine poster, I might suggest that one partial solution to the UK housing crisis might be to disadvantage the ownership of more than one property, and using both as a personal residence.

Would a right wing party ever go down this route? Unlikely

Would a left wing party ever go down this route? Not impossible but still perhaps unlikely - since many MPs by dint of their profession have to have two residences - but not necessarily own both or either.

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="andyh4"] since many MPs by dint of their profession have to have two residences - but not necessarily own both or either.[/quote]

Not to mention the Duck houses [:)]

[/quote]

It’s scaremongering no more, no less. The muppets surrounding Mars May are hardly a class act to base any argument on. It’s this straw that Tory voters cling to, thinking that only they can control an economy. Yeah, next joke please.

[quote user="andyh4"]

I might suggest that one partial solution to the UK housing crisis might be to disadvantage the ownership of more than one property, and using both as a personal residence.

Would a right wing party ever go down this route? Unlikely

Would a left wing party ever go down this route? Not impossible but still perhaps unlikely - since many MPs by dint of their profession have to have two residences - but not necessarily own both or either.[/quote]

In the early nineties any person owning two houses in the UK, that where one wasn't constantly occupied, the owner paid double rates on the empty (holiday home) house.