Space in my Van

Saucedecochon

Having decided (at my age) to renovate another part of our gaff for the kids, I'm up and down with a van part filled with materials or nearly empty (mainly up). If you aren't too far off the Cherbourg, Rennes, Nantes, Bordeaux, Landes route or vice versa, and have need of transport, in return for a small contribution against fuel/tolls, please feel free to PM me. I have 2 trips planned, in Jan 2018 return early Feb, and another down end of March/April 2018. Pleased to help, just need a bit of notice.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh? Guess you must be an expert then? Thermalite blocks; not available in my bit of France. Insulation support netting. Unheard of in all my local builders merchants. Boron - rods and paint (no not being rude begins with a B and is also not stocked). Kingspan insulation bought wholesale here. Hard to get at my mates rates. TLX breathable membrane. SFTV foil vapour etc etc. List goes on. I buy plenty of French materials, and pay my taxes, but thanks for belated heads up, we've only been there 17 years.

Been here longer than that...ner ner neee ner ner...

Thermalite blocks...that is beton cellulaire...no ?

It is available everywhere in France.

All the rest of the stuff you mention I have never heard of. Sounds cool though. What do you do with it ? Insulation support netting ??? WTF is that ?

At least you are not buying a rayburn and a B&Q kitchen. LOL.

Well said SdC. although I might take issue with some of the availability issues.

ALBF is off on another of his tirades based on what he wants to believe and not on reality.

I was in a similar situation. There can be many reasons for not buying in France - availability, price but in my case time was a major deciding factor.

Doing work at weekends - often extended weekends using a pont - time was of the essence.

Compare: decide what you need, spend whatever time you need to get the goods and transport them down to France on (say) Wednesday evening. Start work Thursday and work through to Sunday lunchtime and then drive back.

OR: Drive down on Wednesday evening. Unable to buy anything in Thursday because it is a holiday (and yes I know it is sometimes a little different now, but back then no one opened, now I can drive 50km to a large Brico if I need a screw on a holiday), drive down to the store on Friday to get the bits you need but the local store has stocked out of something important so off to the city to make good the shortfall. Back home Friday pm and set up for starting. Saturday make a start but stop mid Sunday with only half the job done.

Believe me I have played both scenarios and I know which I prefer and which is less stressful.

Added to which on the price front:

internal/external tiles at 8.95€/m sq in Germany. I could not even get cr@p indoor tiles in France for that price. Cement and grout - the same story. And don't talk to me about plaster. I know many have posted about equivalents to UK plaster available here in France, but all we have here is essentially plaster of Paris. Full marks to the artisans who use it (and they do) but to me it is good for pouring into plaster moulds and not a lot else.

Oh might as well put my oar in [:)]

Insulation support netting, is that render mesh? if so I have seen it.  Brico depot were also selling a reflective breather membrane not unlike TLX silver a while back and that was a good price as I ran out on my TLX from the UK [Www]

It's still a kind offer of van space less we all forget that is what's on offer not a life coaching session.

Agreed on plaster, French stuff's sh1T.

Had to laugh at "artisans" doing a small entrée insurance job for us.

3 blokes, bloody huge plaster caked machine, umpteen bags, loads of mess, and walls looked like an ice rink post Torville and Dean, that many float scrapes.

British gypsum every time.

[quote user="Théière"]Oh might as well put my oar in [:)]

Insulation support netting, is that render mesh? if so I have seen it.  Brico depot were also selling a reflective breather membrane not unlike TLX silver a while back and that was a good price as I ran out on my TLX from the UK [Www]

It's still a kind offer of van space less we all forget that is what's on offer not a life coaching session.

[/quote]

Good guess, but nope. Don't need mesh for render if applied right. Think I'll offer prizes next. As for transport, beginning to wish I'd not bothered.

I have done two renovations with that horrible French stuff and both house are still standing. LOL

My walls are nicely plastered and painted. No marks in my walls. I am a perfectionist when it comes to walls.

Our first house was energy rated 'E' when we bought it. It was sold as a 'B'.

Same with the house we live in now. Perfectly insulated with that French cr&p. Lovely and warm.

So yeah, really no idea why you want to go to the UK. They sell all the stuff at Leroy. Just need to know what you are doing I guess.

PS... I love Beton Cellulaire. I use it everywhere.

ALBF - you are being silly again and being controversial to no purpose.

There are going to be differences between france and the UK but expert tradespeople (artisans) tend to do what they know will give a good result.

Be aware that people seldom tend to be expert in lots of different areas (apart from me !!!!)

[quote user="Saucedecochon"]That's good then. Thanks for your input.[/quote]

Your welcome. Glad to help.

I was finking though, Landes - Bath in a van with a ferry crossing back and forth. That must be 600 euros before you start filling it with pork pies ???

I can't see the saving unless I am missing something.

Just drive to Tours. They sell everything here.

[quote user="Saucedecochon"]Looks like yer missing a lot mate. Brain cells, manners and humility being a few, reading and comprehension looks a bit poor as well as geography. Can't you go bother someone else if theres FA on TV?[/quote]

It matters not a jot to me where you buy your materials, I have been on both extremes over the years usually exchanger rate driven, used French materials in the UK and vice versa, loadsa vice versa [:D]

But all I wanted to say was 10 out of 10 for the put down, even ALBF will begrudgingly agree with me on that!

10/10 for the generous offer as well.

10/10 f

Its also "they're" and "hey".

Since I'm not able to transport myself a la Star Trek, I drive. I drive a van, and bring materials I need which are not (I checked - several times) available near me in France. I also use the van to pick up materials which are available near me in France or to dechette stuff (hope that meets with approval).

I bring my furniture too sometimes, as I largely live in the UK for now. Hence the route - down!

Perhaps you need my advice if you pay 600Euros. Well over the odds mate, nearly double, but not free hence my offer of mutual assistance to people, who don't have a van.

[quote user="Saucedecochon"][quote user="Théière"]Oh might as well put my oar in [:)]

[/quote]

Good guess, but nope. Don't need mesh for render if applied right. Think I'll offer prizes next. As for transport, beginning to wish I'd not bothered.[/quote]

No need to pop at me, I have heard and used a lot of products but what is insulation support netting?

I am but a simple gurl, but even I know this. It is netting wot you put over the top of fibre insulation to stop it from falling off in bits or moving.

Take no notice, Mr de cochon. If you say it's a nice day on here you'll get 45 opinions as to whether it is or not, and why. And it definitely won't be a nice day until ALBF has said it is, and sanctioned it as such with his approval.

Thankyou Betty. I've got that from previous posts I made, which is why I've not been here for a while. It was just a thought, and offer of help!

You are of course closest. It is in fact, netting, which supports.... wait for it - insulation.

I have dropped ceilings and am replacing floorboards above, so rolling out and then stapling this inside and across joists allows the roll out of wool insulation into the spaces between, nice and tight, without the itch, before replacing boards. It can be used as you suggest too on uprights between studs, though I'm using French metal plaque system for walls and ceilings and it fits snug - mostly.