Travel Insurance

mazandcol

I was looking at Staysure and trying to find out how many days each year would be covered.

However, I read these reviews and didn’t pursue the search:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298031-i1222-k7126323-o90-Used_Staysure_Travel_Insurance-Fethiye_Mugla_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html

No travel insurance can be said to be of use until after a claim, when you know how the company deals with it..................

I did a lot of research before our last trip to the USA and found most expat insurance very expensive. We chose annual cover for multi-destination holidays of 90 days or less including USA and Japan with Mondassure. e have used them twice now for trips to US and Asia but not had to claim (fortunately!)

I rang them to make sure they spoke English as I doubt doctors in the US would speak French. There are no questions asked about present health (I believe they are not allowed to ask in France - as is the case with top-up insurance). The only doubt I had at the time was the relatively low amount of cover for major treatment which was 150,000€. I believe that has now doubled but we have not purchased this year yet so not sure.

The annual premium we paid last year was in the region of 240€

Judith-aka-Judith wrote : Globelink work for me, in that age group, and used for several years. 

Will insure even if French resident.   Basedin Ely, UK, search for

Globelink should find them.  Can insure online, there is a medical

questionnaire, any problems re medical coverage, you can ring them ...

Thanks for that Judith .. have you ever had need to make a claim from them for whatever reason?

Spider wrote : I did a lot of research before our last trip to the USA and found most expat insurance very expensive. We chose annual cover for multi-destination holidays of 90 days or less including USA and Japan with Mondassure. We have used them twice now for trips to US and Asia but not had to claim (fortunately!)

"https://www.mondassur.com/fr/comparatif-assurances/mondassur-assurance-voyage.html">https://www.mondassur.com/fr/comparatif-assurances/mondassur-assurance-voyage.html.

I rang them to make sure they spoke English as I doubt doctors in the US would speak French. There are no questions asked about present health (I believe they are not allowed to ask in France - as is the case with top-up insurance). The only doubt I had at the time was the relatively low amount of cover for major treatment which was 150,000€. I believe that has now doubled but we have not purchased this year yet so not sure. The annual premium we paid last year was in the region of 240€.

Thanks Spider : without being rude could I ask are you in our 69 .. rapidly approaching 70 .. age-group ?

Edit : Just testing if i can edit this using Opera .. time will tell.

Sue, happily, no.  I did ask them if I could claim for a hire car to get me back to France when I had an accident in the UK, as my own insurers were being difficult (they said I hadn't asked them first, in fact I had, but the message didn't get passed on by my agent who was on holiday, and no-one picked it up in her absence), but they. Globelink, said, no, as it wasn't really covered by travel insurance,  which I understood, but asked anyway!, but they were very nice about it, and replied, which is what you want as well.

So, I cannot judge on how they would cope if you claimed, and though I suspect they will be like other insurances and try and get out of it if they can, I do feel that they would come up trumps if it were covered by the insurance.  I take out an annual policy because I travel quite a bit, but it is going up in price as I age!

Our private Spanish health insurance covered us for travel outside Spain under a policy with Europ Assistance, which is a French international group with subsidiaries in many other countries.

I claimed from them once, and the claim was treated quickly and satisfactorily.

QUOTE Spider

“...The only doubt I had at the time was the relatively low amount of cover for major treatment which was 150,000€...."

Gosh, to contemplate travel to the US with that limit is a bit scary. Forty years ago, my then insurance company said medical cover for 1 million dollars would be about right.

[quote user="Loiseau"]QUOTE Spider

“...The only doubt I had at the time was the relatively low amount of cover for major treatment which was 150,000€...."

Gosh, to contemplate travel to the US with that limit is a bit scary. Forty years ago, my then insurance company said medical cover for 1 million dollars would be about right.[/quote]

Scare tactics by insurance companies to get you to pay over the odds for travel insurance! Since when have you ever heard of medical care in the US costing millions?

The average cost of a hospital stay is around $16,000 which is about 14k Euros. I would think a greater cost would be repatriation to France in the most serious of cases, this is handled separately by the insurers.

As I said earlier I believe the cost per treatment has now been increased to 300,000€ which is about $336k.

Good example of a high cost hospital treatment in the US. That's about $56k so well covered by the 300k € limit. I can hardly believe a US hospital not making sure the patient was covered by insurance. My son went for treatment and the first thing they asked was  who provides your insurance. What a bum insurance company - which one was it (link?) or is this just Daily Mirror crap reporting again?

Recommended cover by the people who should know:

• 5 days to 1 month, we recommend $50,000 – $100,000 in medical coverage
  • One month to 3 months, we suggest $100,000-$500,000
  • For three months or longer, $250,000 or more.

We usually travel to high risk (as in expensive) countries for about 3 to 4 weeks at a time so Mondassure serves us quite well in cost v cover