Travel from UK to France suspended from midnight

betise

That’s a direct result of the British government lying about the reason for ‘cancelling’ Christmas. The new strain of Covid was a great way of using smoke and mirrors to shift the blame despite there being no evidence it is to blame for the rising numbers. A convenient scapegoat for BJ allowing him to do a U turn without losing the respect of his faithful will cost the country dear. The travel ban may be only 48 hours at the moment but the chaos caused will unlikely to have been sorted out by the end of the year. The time when the new chaos at the ports is going to begin. Poor decision making. Piss poor government.

This mutant ninja covid strain is probably/most likely already in France.

Borders across Europe IMHO should have been closed since the summer/before the summer for non essential traffic.

You reep what you sow.

B&B...the French government have been no better.

This is a horrible mess. But the border chaos in Dover is a good introduction to Bexit UK. It will be like that for a very long time.

Brits living in France but stuck in the UK because of their 'non essential' travel don't have my sympathy.

To early to say whether it's time to breakout the popcorn on this one or not.

Perhaps someone will pass by and explain to me why emigrants from the UK continually have the knives out and are constantly b*tch*ng about the UK administration but fail miserably in their condemnation of the administrations of their countries of residence.

There but for the grace....... that I don't find myself in the unenviable position of having to make life changing deciisions on behalf of a nation where, it would seem, so many appear to be armchair experts on dealing with the covid and brexit situations.

Cajal you are totally correct.

Cajal said....'Perhaps someone will pass by and explain to me why emigrants from the UK continually have the knives out and are constantly b*tch*ng about the UK administration but fail miserably in their condemnation of the administrations of their countries of residence'.

It largely because they don't have a clue on what is going on around them. They live in an expat non reality bumble watching UK news and strictly.

So there...that is my little rant over for the day. LOL.:

You are correct sir.

[quote user="cajal"]Perhaps someone will pass by and explain to me why emigrants from the UK continually have the knives out and are constantly b*tch*ng about the UK administration but fail miserably in their condemnation of the administrations of their countries of residence.[/quote]
They don't speak French or watch French news, read French newspapers...

And...

They're not entirely certain that their decision to be immigrants was the right one so push all such unsettling thoughts away by denigrating the UK.

That said, no European country seems to have done well with the management of this virus. All quick decisions come with consequences, often unwanted. But I do think that Boris and his gang - partly because they have Brexit to deal with too and partly because Boris is fundamentally a lazy libertarian with no core values or beliefs - are not the people you want leading by example right now.

Another fine point Catalpa..

Catalpa said... 'They're not entirely certain that their decision to be immigrants was the right one so push all such unsettling thoughts away by denigrating the UK'

i think that is it in a nutshell.

You are very good Catalpa.

TBH, as a family of five I would take my chances in the UK vs France even with Brexit.

Unfortuntely with Brexit, that is a tad difficult with OH.

But without Bexit....we would be gone.

Everyday France with a family......noooo. Don't do it.

Extraordinary debate.

Boris ( for whom I do not carry a torch), reacts to this new strain of covid in the only sensible way he could, by shutting everything down. On the advice of the scientists.

He understood that the population was getting fed up but what else could he do, let the virus run rampant through the country which may happen anyway thanks to those clowns who decided to ‘get away’ for a few days, knowing of the danger.

Please tell me what else he could have done, given that covid is leading the dance?

They don't speak French or watch French news, read French newspapers...

And...

They're not entirely certain that their decision to be immigrants was the right one so push all such unsettling thoughts away by denigrating the UK.

Well I hope that wasn’t aimed at me as I do speak French, do watch the French news and do read French newspapers. I also left the U.K. 34 years ago and have loved living in Europe ever since so I’m sure that I made the right decision when I became an immigrant.

Covid is causing problems through Europe and the governments of the major countries reacted quickly and decisively when they saw that a break for Christmas was not going to work. BJ on the other hand pointed out that it would be inhuman to cancel Christmas, tried to ridicule the leader of the opposition when he pointed out the obvious threatened to take local education authorities to court when they realised the consequences of their schools staying open and played to the populist vote. When at last the penny dropped and he could no longer pretend that turkey and The Queen with the entire family was feasible (even if the whole plan was actually to keep the cash pouring into the tills that are boosted every December) he used the convenient mutant virus as an excuse for yet another huge u turn. Those of you who believe that it is patriotic to support his actions are as pathetic as you are uninformed. Having said the man from Tours is acting in character s9 fits 8nto that group anyway.

[quote user="BritinBretagne"]Well I hope that wasn’t aimed at me as I do speak French, do watch the French news and do read French newspapers. [/quote]
It was not. In fact, it wasn't aimed at anyone I've seen posting here in the last few months (since I started visiting again.)

I have in mind people I know (tho' haven't seen much or any of since March) in this area who can argue for / against Starmer, Johnson, Corbyn, Gove... but don't know the name of the current French premier ministre... or any past PM, for that matter.

If this report is correct it suggests a lamentable slowness to react by the British authorities:

The new strain was identified in southeastern England in September

and has been spreading in the area ever since, a WHO official told the

BBC on Sunday.

"What we understand is that it does have increased

transmissibility, in terms of its ability to spread," said Maria Van

Kerkhove, WHO’s technical lead on COVID-19.

source:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/2020/12/20/eu-nations-canada-bar-travel-uk-fearing-coronavirus-variant/3987226001/

Woolybanana : In which case it is all over Europe and further by now. EU panic by the look of it.

Exactly. If it has been rife in Latin American since the spring, we can bet our last sou that it is well entrenched everywhere - even those places in Europe whose ability to sequence the DNA is less advanced than that of the UK.

Poor old Italy - with the enthusiastic self-importance of a little dog trotting behind a brass band - proudly claims to have discovered 'one case'.

This is a new strain of the virus..each one has a 'serial' number.The new strain has been named ‘VUI – 202012/01’ as it is the first variant under investigation in December.

The Spanish one was 'a coronavirus variant that originated in Spanish farm workers spread rapidly throughout Europe and accounted for most UK cases. This variant, called 20A.EU1, is known to have spread from farm workers to local populations in Spain, but this one isn't that one.

Mr Macron and is Government are clealy being political Wooly.

Hold tight UK.

I bet 100 % that the hundreds of thousands of French living in the UK are right behind the UK.

Mr Macron is hated in France, the UK and Europe.

All this does my head in. Peeps fighting over fish.

Here is a thought. Stop fishing !!!! Let the Oceans recover and have this debate in 5 years time.