Think twice about Italian infrastructure

What a hideous accident [url]https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/23/italian-cable-car-crash-kills-several-injures-two-children[/url]

I worked for many years in the drilling industry where cables were critically important. There were clear rules about calculating the life of cables and when they were due for replacement.

Anyone who worked with hauling or lifting equipment or in the mining industry would know this.

"Inspections" of any sort were considered to be of no value at all, and cables were replaced according to set formulae, calculated from the distance that measured loads had been carried. Not difficult with the right sort of recording equipment, but the time in service is another important factor which has to be considered. Our philosophy was that the cost of replacing cables is much less than that of an accident.

The fact that the cables were inspected in 2016 has no bearing on their condition. Since then they have been out in all weathers, possibly not even used for some time, and goodness know what corrosion had occurred. I regard this as total incompetence, similar to that regarding their bridges like the one in Genoa, which could be seen falling apart on Google Earth Street View, which has now disappeared.

I don't expect to visit Italy again, but if if I were to do so, I'd hesitate before using the huge bridges on their autostrade, and wouldn't hink of riding a cablecar there.

We had planned to visit the opposite side of the lake last year for OH 8oth, but had to cancel because of Covid.  Whether I would go on that ride anyhow is suspect, but limiting travel for a while when all settles down seems sensible.  Your comment that is had quite probably deteriorated because of lack of use, is valid, especially if it was put back into use without further checks first which does not seem to have been done.

It seems incredible to me that it was not thoroughly checked prior to it being used again. A lesson for all the ski resorts,isn't it!

When we first started skiing in the late 1970's we were always told via the dry ski slope rumour mill, that the lifts in Italy were usually second hand from say Germany, Switzerland or Austria. No idea if this was true. All I can say is that our first holidays were in Italy and, at least in the first two resorts we holidayed, everything was fine and very well organised.

I Googled "cable car cable maintenance", was reading some slightly scary information, such as that the positions of cars on cables have to be changed regularly to reduce local wear and fatigue, and wondering how often busy operators did that, when I came across THIS

Yes, it's a short 3-sstop trip, I think, from the Oncopole (which I have been visiting on a regular basis for the last year, and progress is quite evident each time I go), which connects to 2 other hospital sites in Toulouse itself.  Cannot remember which.  But since the Oncopole is easy enough, usually, to get to from the autoroute, with free parking and connects into central Toulouse, I shall be trying it out soon I hope.

I was very interested to read your original post nomoss,   and in fact following on from your second post it turns out that the emergency brake may well have been deliberately bypassed,   after a problem was found.

Looks like three people (managers) have been arrested,   according to latest reports;  (and being reported at this moment on France 3).

Dreadful incident.