Noor Inayat Khan

Weedon

Just by chance I watched a programme on BBC television this morning about a very courageous young women who was parachuted into France during WW2 to operate as a wireless operator.

I had read a book about her in the past, nevertheless it was interesting to see the places on television where she lived and operated in Paris.

If her name is unfamiliar to you, there is a lot of information about her if you do a search.  Here is one to look at.

Weedon, I have recommended this book before:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Secrets-Vera-Atkins-Agents/dp/0349119368/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1202218605&sr=8-1

I think Noor Inayat Khan is mentioned in it. The book is an excellent and informative read, I have no idea why it isn't better known, I just came across it quite by chance in a Waterstones 3 for the price of 2 promotion. It's a keeper.(Although I have lent it to someone at present)

Sorry, I must have missed that RH.  Before I posted this I tried to find the book I was referring to, but couldn't find it. I can't be certian now (memory probs) but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the same book you recommend.  The book contains the stories of, about, ten brave women who carried out similar heroic deeds to Noor, another in the book was Violette Szabo for whom Leo Marks wrote a poem for her to use when sending coded messages back to England.

The Life That I Have

The life that I have Is all that I have

And the life that I have Is yours

The love that I have Of the life that I have

Is yours and yours and yours

A sleep I shall have A rest I shall have

Yet death will be but a pause For the peace of my years

In the long green grass Will be yours and yours and yours.

Leo Marks

A Life in Secrets centres around the story of Vera Atkins who among other duties, was the person who would go and see the girls off and make sure they had the right items, things like French brands of cosmetics, cigarettes, stationary, just little things but they could give the game away.

After the war she set out on a quest to find out what had really happened to all those girls that perished. It became clear that they had a double agent, and who it was, but as far as I remember no action was ever taken and the person died of old age in Spain.

Thoroughly recommended.