Burt French-Huguenots?

Burt

Thanks to both of you for replying.; I found the reference online & now can't re-find it, nor my printed copy at the moment; just the notes on my Family Tree Maker---it was an article which was quoting from "History of Benton, Washington, Carroll, Madison, Crawford, Franklin, and Sebastian Counties, Arkansas; Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co, 1889."  It said in part, that in the biography of  Dr J.S. Burt, "his grandfather John Burt was of French-Huguenot descent, was born and reared in Virginia, ----"  Dr J S Burt was my great-grandfather's brother. We do not know who or have a date for the first of our family to leave Europe for the Colonies. The earliest we have is Richard Burt born in York Co, Virginia about 1665. But Burt did not sound French to me, so wondered if anyone might know what it might have been anglicized from. Any ideas? Daniel Burt, United States

I would suggest that you subscribe to the Huguenot site at Rootsweb - [email protected] - where you will find a whole bunch of American Huguenot researchers who will be able to better help you, this is most definately not the place to go into that sort of stuff and on Rootsewb you may - just may - find some other descendants of the original family.

And there are the various American Huguenot Societies (if you google for Huguenot you'll find them - who may be better able to help you rather than a general reply from me on this Forum.

Okay, sorry if I asked on the wrong site, just thinking since it was in France, someone might know the French version of the name, that's all.  .Thank you for your courtesy and time, and suggestion. Have a good day, D B

I've had a look through the hundred or so electronic sources that I have for the name BURT and it throws up all sorts of things, mainly derivations from other longer names but no direct translations as such and I can find nothing in the French research Society's records for any name that may be a translation of BURT.  I would imagine that, if the 400 plus records that I have looked through are anything to go by, the name isn't a translation at all but probably a diminutive of another name - Burter, Burtel, Burtier, Burton, Alburtt (Dutch Protestante) and so they go on in French and Dutch records.

There is a myth about the anglicisation of French or Huguenot names.  There are so many stories floating around Huguenot circles about the changes in names, when you actually dig into the stories, many turn out to be false.  For example, d'Epaule to Shoulder is the one usually quoted but when you look into the Huguenot d'Epaules, the name is usually given as Paul or something similar.

You are assuming that the name is a translation from the French - I wouldn't start with that assumption until it is proved and again I would reiterate that you're approaching this research the wrong way around.

If you haven't alread done so, go backwards until you reach the block on the names, then determine the Departement of origin in France (which should be in the English or US records somewhere) and then start looking for the names.  If you have the place of French origin, things become much easier so if your BURT left - say Castres - in 1664 with my ancestors, you would know where they lived in England and could trace them back using the two sources, through the various French/Huguenot records in the UK.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thank you for all that time you spent, I appreciate it.  I do have from  us back to 1665, but he was born in Virginia, & can't seem to get past there. I was just surprised  to find that reference to French-Huguenots, & curious about the name. I'm 74 years old, and don't know a lot about deep research, so thank you for your suggestions. D B

I would suggest that you need to look at the immigration records for the period and also contact the Huguenot Society of America to see whether the family is on their 'approved' list or whether they know anything about the family.

Also the Virginia Historical Society may be able to help you.

• 4 weeks later...
Know it well thanks Wen, was there for the latest re-opening and helped raised funds for the memorial there.  Last time I was in Dublin lecturing on Huguenots I even bumped into the guy who was project manager of the clearance and remodelling of the cemetery - he was driving my taxi!

• 1 year later...
Tony you seem to be a real expert. Do you have any info on the name Gogniat? I was recently told it come from Huguenot- my forebears emigrated to the Swiss Jura. the confusing bit is that they are now staunch catholics- a fact which created so much unrest when my parents got married, as mum was a divorced protestant!!! If the Gogniat were Huguenots, perhaps they decided to become catholics at a later stage to 'fit in and get on', as the Jura is a catholic Canton. ??? Would be very interested to hear what you think.

Merci