Napoleon III

odile

I'm no expert but when I was first married in 1970 were rented a tiny cottage which was apparently the staff quarters for the officer looking after the fort behind the cottage. This fort was one of a ring built around London supposedly to put up a fight should Napolean III get that far. It had a ditch/moat and underground storage. This one was at Farningham in Kent and there was another at Halstead (Sevenoaks) Kent to my knowledge. I believe a group in parliament known as the blue funk group had them constructed.

Louis Napoleon was a rather fascinating character - perhaps it was part of his inheritance from Josephine [:)].  It is interesting to see just how many building projects of all shapes and sizes throughout France were undertaken during his reign.  For example, the promenade around Lake Annecy.

he clearly has left a great town planning/architecture legacy. My main interest is his obsession with the war agains the Prussians- which he obsessively wanted to pursue to avenge his uncle Nap. Bonaparte (rings a bell Bush/Bush!) -

I'm trying to understand how the Eastern Army under General Bourbaki was allowed to continue to fight through the 1870-71 winter (one of the worst on record) - despite the fact Napoleon lost the war very early in Sept. 1870 and fled to the UK. Theis army finally gave itself up in Feb. 71, when 80000 dying/starving/half frozen men + 40000 dying/starving/half frozen horses arrived at the Swiss border in the Jura - in a hamlet of about 20 houses! (we have just bought one of them, dating 1587). It seems nobody bothered to tell that army the war was lost! I'm trying to understand what happened. Apparently this led to the first major action by the Red Cross after Crimea. We are looking forward to visit Luzern where the whole event is recorded on a huge circular panorama painted in the 1880s.