President Obama has roots in Mayenne (53)

Punch

Our local paper has a front page article this week about the great-great-great-great-great-grandmother of Obama , Mary Duvall, who was a slave owner in Laval (53). A bit of a tenuous link but neverthess interesting .

A google search came up with a few other snippets

http://dowdellresearch.blogspot.com/2007/03/tracing-that-family-tree-barack-obama.html

http://www.duvallsociety.org/notables.html

[quote user="Will"]

For the record, he apparently came from a place called Moneygall in Co Offaly.

[/quote]

In common with the current Irish Taoiseach who, contrarily, is not enjoying a period of similar good will with his fellow country men!

The Laval connection has taken up a full page of this weeks Courrier de La Mayenne and although I have not read the full article, it seems that their researcher in Genealogy, Jeanne Duval had already done reseach into her own tree and that is where she uncovered the link to Obama.

• 3 weeks later...

It would appear that he had a grandfather who was suspected of being in the Mau Mau and Kenya's Colonial Police  dragged him in and gave him a rough time ... So he has a family connection  with a member who was brutally treated at the hands of the British... for being  active in overthrowing British rule  ...

[quote user="Punch"]

Our local paper has a front page article this week about the great-great-great-great-great-grandmother of Obama , Mary Duvall, who was a slave owner in Laval (53). A bit of a tenuous link but neverthess interesting .

[/quote]

At the seventh generation there are 128 ancestors. It would be surprising if one of these were not French or Irish or Turkish or something.

• 3 weeks later...

I went round an exhibition in Gravelines (59) of works on paper by British sculptor Anthony Caro recently.  I was very confused to see that a lot of them were called "Obama I", "Obama II" etc.

It turned out that Obama is the name of a small town in Japan.  I expect their local papers are claiming him as one of theirs, too! 

Angela