Dancy the concentration camp, and Louis Handschuh, a side of Paris I didn't know

just john

• 4 weeks later...
John

Many thanks for posting this as it is very interesting.

The article also makes clear that Jews also did not behave like sheep and walk calmly to their deaths, something I have never believed.. 

It's hard to imagine the horror of it all - and how weak and debilitated all prisoners must have been from malnutritian, and various and often multiple diseases. Difficult to plan successful escapes under those circumstances.

Even the fitter British (and other) military escapees failed to escape in big numbers.  I've been reading the 'Great Escape'  by Paul Brickhill,  and even they were mostly caught and killed.  And they were allowed Red Cross food parcels, and were treated better as they were officers.  The leader Roger Bushell (born near Johannesburg) had knowledge of tunneling, but sadly,  he too was killed.  

Such sad times.

Tegwini

John

A belated thank-you from me as well I too was interested to read the article.

I have just started reading "Résistance" Memoirs of occupied France, by Agnès Humbert. I am interested to read her account of how people wanted to respond to De Gaulle and not be ruled by the Vichy government and the German occupation.

Edit:

I am now about halfway through this book and it is fascinating.