Apocalypse; the Second World War

just john

1940. My grand parents were having lunch. German soldiers banged on the door. They wanted something, I don't remember what. 

My gran opened the door. they stepped into the kitchen, and checked behind the door.

My grand father had pinned a map of France there, on which he was drawing things every day, he said, the advance of the troops, etc...

When the Germans saw that, they fired on the door , and spat on my grand father's face........    But when you're facing men with riffles, you don't say anything.......

Yes, that's how it was....  [:(]

My parents talked little about the war, both occasionally made little comments, my Father was in the BEF and got out through Dunkirk, then after recuperation found himself in the Cotswolds and then North Africa before being being seriously wounded, but I still don't know the details and can find little about the British involvement in his last escapade at Cape Bon during Operation Torch (he like others were astounded to be attacked by the French). I suddenly find that as second generation curious to rediscover as much possible. My interest in France is about how the occupation was handled and sure that many of the stories were a personal memory so while I am collecting books, I am more fascinated by stories such as your Frenchie and those of their friends, especially current feelings by the new programmes coming out.

[quote user="just john "]

My parents talked little about the war, both occasionally made little comments, my Father was in the BEF and got out through Dunkirk, then after recuperation found himself in the Cotswolds and then North Africa before being being seriously wounded, but I still don't know the details and can find little about the British involvement in his last escapade at Cape Bon during Operation Torch  ...[/quote] 

JJ, I might be able to help you with your research. I'll send you a PM.

[quote]... (he like others were astounded to be attacked by the French).[/quote]

Many of the once loyal French Vichy combatants who originally fought in the elite Corps Franc d'Afrique, went on to be recruited into 3e Batallion d'infanterie de l'air otherwise known as 3 Battalion, SAS Brigade. Some were to operate within 2 Battalion, SAS Brigade which was to be a strange relationship as 2 Battalion was made up of through-and-through Free French, while 3 Battalion was made up of men who originally opted to follow Pétain.

[quote user="just john"]I suddenly find that as second generation curious to rediscover as much possible. My interest in France is about how the occupation was handled and sure that many of the stories were a personal memory so while I am collecting books, I am more fascinated by stories such as your Frenchie and those of their friends, especially current feelings by the new programmes coming out.[/quote]

Away from the usual well documented events, there is an almost hidden side involving members of the French Resistance, together with the support received from the British.

There is a program I believe on BBC1 tonight if our community de communes newsletter is correct which was filmed this summer in my area, I dont know the name but it features previously undiscovered WW1 footage shot from the spotters tethered hot air balloons plus reconstructions.

I would really like to see this program but have no access to UK television, the article says it can be seen after its screening on bbc.co.uk but I recall when I have tried to view BBC programs on the net from here in France they were blocked.

Am I right and the article incorrect, or will I be able to watch it?

If it does refuse because you are in sunny Picardie, I saw a link on a Great War forum to something that might be helpful.  I shall send you a PM with it in.

I was keen to see the programme, but was very disappointed that there was so little aerial footage - in spite of that being the main angle that was much trailed and publicised.  And the few aerial shots that there were, were played over and over again.  It was potentially an interesting subject, but wasted.

The aerial film, we were told, did not actually cover the Somme.  So what does the team do...?  Do a load of stuff on the Somme from the GROUND.   I happen to be very interested in the Somme, but I felt really cheated here, as the subject was supposed to be this allegedly amazing 78 minutes of rarely-seen aerial footage, not the Battle of the Somme.  It even delved into the digging of tunnels to lay mines etc - another fascinating topic, but nothing to do with aerial photography (unless you are looking at the craters from the air, which I suppose the film did a bit).

Sorry - rant over.   Hope you like the film!

Angela