Telephoning EDF readings

stan

As my bleu ciel d`EDF customer area is currently "down" for maintenance longer than anticiapated, I have to forward my meter readings by telephone within the next 24 hours. The website lists an 080 number to phone the meter readings in, and mentions "serveur vocale". Does anyone know if this number is an automated service where I can just leave the meter readings vocally..or is it manned by a human? I ask this as my French is a bit limited at the moment. Many thanks.

I have used the phone to give my EDF readings and it's automated. You enter your account number and reading by using your phone keys.

You have to be able to understand the prompts for your account number, your reading, and for the confirmations required after each entry.

I have not had to require a human service, if there is one available.

Alas, I have had no joy, trying to get my readings to EDF. 

As I am not too confident using the phone when an electronic switchboard is involved, I got my French neighbour to do it for me.  She tried both the compte sur serveur vocal number and the ma facture one.  All she got were instructions to do it on line.

Nothing daunted, we tried to set up a mot de passe and using the indentifiant internet on the bill.  Nothing recognised, all attempts threw up difficulties.

So, unless some kind soul can tell me what I did wrong or how else to contact EDF, I am stuck with over-estimated bills for yonks.  This wouldn't normally be a problem (and yes, I do know you'd get the money back) but, with 2 houses, I'd rather not be paying over-estimated bills on both for anything up to a year!

BTW, my neighbour is with Energie Direct, which does look cheaper when she showed me her bill.  Anyone know anything about them and how to change over?

You are not the only one, sweet17. As the customer area is presently unavailable, I tried to phone in the numbers today, however was unable to. The system just does not allow this and directs you to submit online, which is presently unavailable! Maybe I will try looking elsewhere too.....

Stan, I'm going to resort to writing to them.

Even if the bill cannot now be changed, I will request that they reduce their estimates in future as we are only in this house on the odd couple of days every fortnight or so.

In the meantime, I'm still hoping someone who knows about energie direct will come and give me the gen on it.

We just noticed the office when we first moved, I thought there would be one in most towns. I have looked in Pages Jaunes and while there are offices in major towns listed (Angouleme for instance) I must admit I can't find the local office. Maybe they have closed them, must look next time we are passing!

[quote user="Jay"]Jot down your meter readings and take them into your nearest EDF office. We have been doing this for years and they still can't get it right! When you take in the new readings they issue a new bill.

[/quote]

So, they issue a new bill if you take your readings and the estimated bill to an EDF shop? Is that correct? My estimates are usually way way out and at this time of year, high bills are not good!

[quote user="stan"][quote user="Jay"]Jot down your meter readings and take them into your nearest EDF office. We have been doing this for years and they still can't get it right! When you take in the new readings they issue a new bill.

[/quote]

So, they issue a new bill if you take your readings and the estimated bill to an EDF shop? Is that correct? My estimates are usually way way out and at this time of year, high bills are not good!

[/quote]

I don't see what query there is to answer? We were sent silly bills when we first moved here, 50 units per month when it should have been maybe 500. I just jotted down my meter reading when I got an estimated bill, took it into the EDF office in our nearby town and they sent me a new bill with the revised readings. I don't know what else to say!

Recently (past year or so) we have received letters saying when the meter reader was coming. If we were out they left a card to fill in. We read the meter, send the card back and get the bill with thoose readings.

Thank you for the numbers, however none of them direct a caller to an English speaking helpline anymore but to the French speaking central number. I received my EDF bill via the internet, the day after my customer area came back online. The bill is estimated and is double what I have used. How can they repeatedly get it so wrong! My nearest EDF shop is 50 miles away. I think I will write to them and ask for a new bill.

[quote user="stan"]Thank you for the numbers, however none of them direct a caller to an English speaking helpline anymore but to the French speaking central number. I received my EDF bill via the internet, the day after my customer area came back online. The bill is estimated and is double what I have used. How can they repeatedly get it so wrong! My nearest EDF shop is 50 miles away. I think I will write to them and ask for a new bill.

[/quote]

Yes they do direct you to an English speaking helpline. Obviously you didn't understand the initial message, if you had waited a while the English version would have come up - it's an international helpline, French comes up first which is only natural seeing as we are in France!

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="stan"]Thank you for the numbers, however none of them direct a caller to an English speaking helpline anymore but to the French speaking central number. I received my EDF bill via the internet, the day after my customer area came back online. The bill is estimated and is double what I have used. How can they repeatedly get it so wrong! My nearest EDF shop is 50 miles away. I think I will write to them and ask for a new bill.

[/quote]

Yes they do direct you to an English speaking helpline. Obviously you didn't understand the initial message, if you had waited a while the English version would have come up - it's an international helpline, French comes up first which is only natural seeing as we are in France!

[/quote]

My apoloies..you are perfectly correct. Typical impatient me, I only heard the French words and assumed they had done away with the numbers. I have called them back and sorted out the bill. Thank you for taking the time to correct me, it is much apreciated Jay.