Green things

SaligoBay

Dontcha love 'em?????

Little bright green frogs with long fingers with suckery bits on the end, just like in pictures from the Amazon jungle.  Fished one out of the swimming pool the other night and when he got his breath back he leaped onto a leap and clung there, obviously thinking that if he didn't move we wouldn't be able to see him any more.

Praying mantis.  Did you know the female is famous for biting the male's head off after mating?  It doesn't always happen, but will if the female is hungry, and in some species the head needs to be removed for mating to take place properly (it can make the body ejaculate faster!). 

Then there are those crickety things.

They're all lovely.   

"It doesn't always happen, but will if the female is hungry, and in some species the head needs to be removed for mating to take place properly (it can make the body ejaculate faster!)"

This is just begging for a witty reply and at the mo I just can't think of one!

During that hot summer 2 years ago we had two of those beautiful green frogs living in our bathroom. They liked to cool off under a wet facecloth. We got quite attached to them. Eventually they disappeared. I think they have sort of sucker pads on their feet so that they can climb up the outside wall of the house. Pat.

Talking of green things.  I found a short fat worm-like thing on our patio about 3 weeks ago.  It was about as thick as a thumb and about 3-4 inches long.  I prodded it with a stick and it turned really (and I mean REALLY quickly) and sort of attacked the stick.  It had a black and white pattern down it's back and horn-like things, like snails have, on it's head.

Anyone any idea what it was?

"Little bright green frogs with long fingers with suckery bits on the end"

Yep we've got them, and they are surprisingly agile.

I can exclusively reveal that they can hop slightly faster than my lawn mower travels ! And very pretty they are too.

Peter

The creature that "attacked" the stick probably was exhibiting a reflex action to being touched that makes birds etc let them go, and shy away from the movement.

Some years ago we found tiny green frogs in the Tarn river, and my wife commented as to how pretty they were, with their golden eyes. She said that if anyone made a brooch like them, someone would be sure to remark that "no frog REALLY looks like that".

Alcazar

[quote]Sounds like an Elephants Head hawk moth caterpillar. Big aren't they! You will probably find a picture of one if you do a Google search, sadly I haven't got a photo of one - they are not really that...[/quote]

Coco, there's a pic here of a different brand of hawkmoth caterpillar.  It's not yours, but it's such a nice picture, and you'll probably recognise your beastie.

http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/displayimage.php?id=293&pos=-4895

I thought of another green thing - punaises, shield bugs.  There was one in the bedroom last night, it sounded like a bloomin helicopter buzzing round.  Of course it didn't wake Mr SB up, but then it wasn't him it landed on at speed!!