Dayglo Orange Slugs

naps

Anyone know anything about the huge bright orange slugs which are dotted around the floor of woods and forests here in France (79, Deux Sevres to be specific, although I guess they are all over the place).

Not normally a slug fan, but these were interesting, and my 11 year old visiting nephew convinced himself that they must be poisonous, not that WE were considering getting that close.

I love the wildlife - we have snails so huge that if we were not as far from the sea as is possible I would assume that whelks or something bigger had become accustomed to land life.

I also thought we had 'pretty lizards' apart from the green, blue headed variety - seems they are salamanders - and yes, we have the dayglo slugs and also some huge ones that are a rather 'interesting' brown colour that at first we thought were 'presents' left by the neighbours dog.

These are probably what are commonly called in English "Red Slugs" Arion rufus . Although called red slugs they come in a great range of colours: Red, Orange, Brown, Black or White.

Can grow as large as 15cm (6inches) not toxic and generally eat rotting plant life and dead birds and mammals.

I understand that they are actually eaten in Belgium.

These are probably what are commonly called in English "Red Slugs" Arion rufus . Although called red slugs they come in a great range of colours: Red, Orange, Brown, Black or White.

Can grow as large as 15cm (6inches) not toxic and generally eat rotting plant life and dead birds and mammals.

I understand that they are actually eaten in Belgium.

[quote]These are probably what are commonly called in English "Red Slugs" Arion rufus . Although called red slugs they come in a great range of colours: Red, Orange, Brown, Black or White. Can grow as la...[/quote]

They are eaten in Northern France as well

My husband was out strimming today and 'popped' one For a little critter they spread a long way - sticky was how it described it

How do I always quote the wrong bit?