Fungus Season is Upon Us!

These lovely misty mornings signal the arrival of the best of the mushrooming season.  In the paper today they are predicting a bountiful harvest, compared to the last few years.

The "recolte" started yesterday for me with about half a kilo of hedgehog fungus.  It will go well with the chicken fricassee this evening.

What has anyone else found out there fungus-wise recently - either in France or back here in Blighty?

Valerie

But you have to be so careful! Last year I found some that I was sure were ordinary field mushrooms but decided to be on the safe side and took them to the pharmacist. He said not edible and gave me a book with so many types pictured. Very few are edible. Pat.

My neighbour collected 45 kilos of cepes this weekend, fortunately for me he can't possibly eat that amount!!!!

Cepes can be frozen raw, just brush them over to get rid of any leaves etc and slice them, pop them into bags and straight into the freezer.  You can then cook them from frozen, in garlic and butter.  They will have retained a bit of moisture, but that will soon cook out.

Happy fungus-ing!

Last night we were putting our ducks n bunnies to bed when we heard our french neighbour calling from across his field ,in his arms he had an enormous puff ball, he cut in half ,instructed us how to cook (we did already know) & wished us bon apetite. We have just had some for breakfast on toast, scrummy, seemed strange having garlic for breakfast tho

Sally

Secondigny

To Pixietoadstool

I am very English in regard to fungus but I have a book with lovely pictures in French.

According to this the "hydne hérrisson" is a protected species(by the convention of Berne no less).Presumably this is not what you refer to by hedgehog mushroom?

Hi Saddie,

I actually picked the hedgehog fungus in England.  I have seen it for sale in France under the name "Pied de Mouton".  It does look a bit like a sheep's foot I suppose, without the accompanying manure!!

In my Roger Phillips Mushrooms book it lists the latin name as Hydnum repandum and says it is commonly for sale in European markets.  So I have to say it is rather odd if it is a protected species - I will have a look at my French mushroom book when I get back to the house next month and see what that says!

Valerie