Parent pauvre

chris pp

La protection de l'environnement, parent pauvre du budget de l'Etat français.

Yesterday Nelly Olin announced the budget for the Ministry of Ecology, 896 million euros or 0.3% of the total French expenditure. This actually represents a net decline of 0.75%.    One quarter of this, 237 million euros is for Nuclear research, a contentious industry, as France, along with others , still does not know what to do with the waste.  The associations for the environment will have their funding reduced by 10% for 2005/2006 and by 20% for 2006/2007.

One area which will be given priority is to put in place the remaining Natura2000 sites, which France has so far failed to complete and is liable to be fined by the EU if it does not do so by April 2006.

I could almost find myself feeling sorry for Mme Olin if I thought she really had an interest in the environment, little she has done so far since becoming Minister gives that impression.

Chris

<<<One area which will be given priority is to put in place the remaining Natura2000 sites, which France has so far failed to complete and is liable to be fined by the EU if it does not do so by April 2006>>>

Why would THAT worry them? AFAIK, the French goverment haven't paid one red centime of ANY fine they've had since the first day of the Common Market.........and I don't see them starting now

Basically, they'll do the Natur bit if it suits 'em, and not if it doesn't.

Pity successive UK governments have never been able to see THEIR way round the rulesbook.........apparently, Italy follows about 1 in 60 of the rules, the ones that it benifits from, of course, and France is about 1 in 50.

These stats came up on another BBS I belong to, recently.

Alcazar

Alcazar