lizardy thing

Fmn

I only caught a fleeting glimpse of this creature as it shot behind the ivy on the wall, but it was obviously a lizard - perhaps a little larger than normal, but seemed to be black with the most vivid limegreenish tiny spots all over it.  I don't have a 'lizard' book, so could anyone tell me what it was for when it next pops it's head out?Thanks.

Fran

Well, it's not a salamander then.  Nothing like as striking.  Even the green lizard looks too spectacular for what I saw.  This seemed like every other lizard you see on the walls except for the vivid green but very small dots on it. And just a little bigger. Just looked a bit more special if you know what I mean.  Anyway Chris, we're in the Gers and the thingy was on the south wall of our stone house.  The only water is the water main, sitting in a pool of water beneath the ivy it was hiding behind. I only saw it's back half, but it was sufficiently unlike the colouring of the thousands of other lizards on our walls to merit a closer look. Sorry I can't be more precise and will keep an eye in case the little chap reappears.  Thanks so much for all your replies - the wildlife in France really is pretty stunning isn't it?

Fran

Of course it could have been a sand lizard - the males are green and they even live in the UK but are rare.  If you have broadband and are interested enough Chris Packham has done a lovely video of a male sand lizard on an English heath - please see the following website (there is also a still picture of a sand lizard too):

http://www.arkive.org/species/ARK/reptiles/Lacerta_agilis/Lacerta_agilis_00.html?movietype=qtMed

Valerie

weeeell.. the vivid green of the picture by Chris Packham was certainly closest although too much green.  But as I only saw his tail part it's hard to say.  I shall continue to watch out for him and get back if I get a better view.  With such a wealth of knowledge on this site it really is a great asset.

Thanks so much

Fran