Deer in Normandy...

Mozman

We have deer all around in the forests but I wondered what sort they were. They are quite large. Are the deer in the area where Calvados meets Orne and Eure exclusively of one sort? (Roe deer?) Or are there Fallow and Red deer as well.

I'm confused. I've heard conflicting reports of what is in the area.

According to a book I have: there are red deer in that area but only in very large forests.  Apparently they need a lot of land and cover and you are unlikely to see them anywhere other than the deepest darkest forest.

Otherwise roe deer are very common and quite large - their colour is sometimes reddish and so they can be mistaken for red deer - I thought the first one I saw was a red deer but everyone laughed at me - even when I explained it was red:  red deer are much bigger.

When I get to France tomorrow I will look at my book which gives regional distribution of vertebrates and let you know what it says for deer in Manche, Calvados and Orne.  I have a feeling there aren't any fallow or muntjac there but I will confirm this later.

Valerie

"I have a feeling there aren't any fallow or muntjac there"    That is the information that I have as well Valerie.  For the region I have roe deer, red deer and what I think is called Sika deer in English or Cerf Sika en Française Cervus nippon, this is an introduced species for hunting, also to be found in the UK.   

The UK is the only country in Europe where Muntjac have been introduced, otherwise only in China and Taiwan.

Hope this helps, Chris

Thanks for the replies.....Isn't it amazing how subjects always end up much more complicated than you first thought!

There are lots of woodland areas nearby and we do get deer regularly in our meadow....and hunters too for that matter.

Seems like I will have to bone up on the recognising my species! I suspect from what I have read that they are roe deer afterall.