Which bird makes this call?

Suze01

Maybe ChrisPP or some other knowledgeable person could tell me which bird is it that makes a short call that sounds like a referee's whistle (pea whistle)? I've been spending a lot of time in the garden recently and have heard it frequently and I'd love to know which one is.  I've never been able to spot it despite carefully looking in the direction of the sound so I couldn't even tell you what it looks like. Maybe there is someone with a whistle hiding behind the hedge winding me up!!

Thanks for the tips.

I've ploughed through all the soundbites on the RSPB website and I think I've found the right one.  The only one that sounds like it (very accurate too) is the [url=http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/w/waxwing/index.asp]Waxwing[/url].  It looks very distinctive and I can't say that I've seen one. 

Is it likely to be this in my area, the website only gives details for the UK (wintering there) but doesn't say where it lives the rest of the year?

If you compare that to the grasshopper warbler I think you will find there's nothing in it and the grasshopper warbler is a bird that you will have in your neck of the woods, but not the waxwing, they sometimes come down this far in winter if conditions are harsh in the north and east, but would have been long gone by now.

Chris

The last couple of nights there has been a bird singing beautifully in the dark (a wonderful feeling) and he was still singing somewhere up in a tree this morning.  I wonder if it is and suppose it probably is a Nightingale.

I've tried your site Chris to hear the song, but can't get it to work, neither sound, nor video.  I tried to download that Quicktime thing, but it takes hours.  Is that what you had to do Suze?

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

I tried to download that Quicktime thing, but it takes hours.  Is that what you had to do Suze?[/quote]

Yes, but I downloaded the version without the  i-Tunes bit and it was much quicker (after abandoning the i-Tunes version!)

I was actually about to post a question about birds that sign at night as for the last few nights I’ve had one (or more) singing really loudly from a tree in my garden. When I go out, does not seem to stop and when I shine a torch up to look in the tree for it is also does not stop, but it’s a big tree and I’ve not seen it (yet). Having listened to the RSPB web site Nightingale song it is a Nightingale – so thanks for answering the question before I got round to answering it.

They somehow sound louder at night than during the day.

Ian