What's biting me?

I live in Herault. Anytime I do any work in the garden I get eaten alive by things I never see. I cover myself in anti-insect stuff and spray more on my clothes, and I still get bitten. It's too early in the year for aoutats. What's biting me?

Are the bites all over and little red lumps that itch?  We had a holiday in the Herault a few years back and OH and me were covered head to toe in bites.  The kids were fine, just the two of us were in complete agony. in fact so bad I struggled to sit on the plane home, yes my botty was clearly appealing to someting.

We were very close to a vin yard, and the local doctor said it was probably vine spiders which are invisible to the human eye.  This was in August though.

What are aoutats?

They are the larva of Trombidium autumnalis, there, I bet that helps.

I think they are sometimes called harvest mite, tiny little reddish coloured things, you need a strong magnifying glass to see them and they really like people a lot.

Chris

I get bitten all over as well and so does my young son.  My three young daughters and my husband live in the same 'space' and don't have one bite to show.  So unfair.  Perhaps I just taste so good...

My bites are almost all mosquitoes.  In 33, we have lots of ditches full of water, which act as a breeding ground for the little blighters.

It is too early for aoutats, late summer -autumn.  The truth is that I've given up thinking about what bites and stings me, it's a pain but not terminal, every things got to eat. I went to Scotland once for a holiday, never again, savaged by midges.

Chris

I was bitten about two months ago and didn't see or feel anything at the time. It made a bit of mess of my leg though as the skin around the bite went a purple-ish colour and peeled away .It has faded now but I will be glad to get some sun on it!

What are the best things to use to repel insects or put on afterwards?

Hi Chris, coming from Scotland myself i am amazed that you got savaged by midges, and lived to tell the tale, could it be that you have Scottish ancestory and this enabled you to survive. Most non Scots tend to roll over to the humble midge and head for the border, any border and never dare mention it again, Hugh.