Climate around Dordogne/Lot

Hi there, my first post on this forum so forgive me if a little clumsey.

I have holidayed in the Perigord Noir for many years and am contemplating purchasing a property in the area - however, I have a concern - the area around the Dordogne river seems to get a lot more rainfall than other areas in the Aquitane region.

Is there better (ie.more sunny) weather to be had a little further south perhaps around Cahor or should I look more toward the Tarn region?  I don`t fancy going to much further South as I like to drive there in a day.

Many thanks, Dan.

PS - those usefull little Climate Comparison boxes that show regional variations - are they any good and does anyone what Londons would be like for a comparison? 

We live in north 46 about 20 mins south of the river Dordogne.

It does not rain as often as in Essex but we get far, far more when it does - hence the green and pleasant landscape. And it is far colder in winter, lowest this past winter was - 10 with a December high of 2 or 3.

John

not

You used to be able to get climatic comparisons off the Meteo.fr website, don't know if it's still available though.

Be careful, however, as there are quite a few micro-climates about, due to land contours etc.

Our property is in Southern Haute Vienne, (87), about 4km from the Dordogne border, and 20km from the Charente (16), border. We have friends in Chatrente about 40km from us, they get less rain and warmer winters. Go figure.

Alcazar

Don't worry about the rainfall - think more about the lack of the grey, dull, miserable, damp S.E. England weather that goes on for days and is so depressing ! At least when the rain stops here and the sun comes out you get instant warmth [:)]. And although it gets very cold it is crisp and fresh, and not a 'damp' cold like in the UK.

We used to live in Charente. The climate there is hotter in summer ,slightly less cold in winter and has less rainfall than Correze where we are now. Climate - south of the Loire- is of less importence thann other factors such as  - where is the nearest big town- in Charente we were 45 mins from anywhere sizable and what on earth happens in winter. A dream kilomtres from anywhere is great in summer but believe me France is boring in winter.  No you won't believe me.

We live about 4km south of the Dordogne river and have our own little micro climate because we're in a valley, hillside , surrounded by trees etc.

We moved from SE England - two winters now, both much colder, summers much hotter and longer but as has already been said, we need the rain for the crops etc.  When it rains it usually pours down but when its hot, longer days, much hotter pm etc.  Grey water system a necessity.

Hi there Tony, I`m guessing you must be somewhere around Belves?

I have noticed that microclimates do seem to have a large effect - the area to the North of St Cyprien (Les Eyzies) on the Vesere seems to get less cloud and more Sun.

Thanks,  Dan.

Hi, we are located between Sarlat and Les Eyzies in a very hilly region not near but north of the Dordogne River.  As others have stated, it does seem to be colder in the winter but much clearer with sun. Having said that, we have sat out in December and even January at times. In the spring and summer it is always warmer and sunnier than SE UK. There is significant rainfall, however, it does seem to come in huge downpours and in the summer at times violent thunderstorms and then will regularly disappear quickly with the sun reappearing. In my experience very rarely do you get grey drizzle days on end.

[quote user="Dan Chase"]

-10?  Ok, thats cold.

I guess my question is one more of the general comparison of the Dordogne to South East England and if a close region has better weather.

Thanks, Dan.

[/quote]

Not as cold as the -17 of a couple of years ago.

Currently temps around 30,often accompanied by a strong wind which seems to make things even hotter. And, after a long, wet spring, no sign of rain so. We live halfway up a valley , at 464 m so our weather can differ dramatically from that of our commune capital only 2 km distant.

One of the (alleged) criticisms of the Dordogne is the similarity to SE England in terms of residents but each to his own as they say.

John

not

Come to the Medoc!  In 33 and part of Aquitaine.  150 miles of sandy beaches and NOT boring in the winter as you can walk barefoot on the golden sand every day (as I do), albeit with the wind blowing your hair everywhere.  If you buy 5 miles inland, you are protected from the wind by the dunes and forests but only a short drive/bike ride to the ocean.  (The Medoc is criss-crossed with cycle tracks.)

The winter weather is milder than elsewhere in France and so heating bills are less.  The sun breaks through the winter cold at about 10am and there's glorious sunshine until about 3pm.  The summer is hot, which is why there are lots of naturist camps in the area.

Property prices are lower.  Check out www.webterre.com , an English speaking agency, from whom we bought our house.

If this seems like an advert for the Medoc, I make no apologies.  I do have a hidden motive - it would be nice for more Brits to live here!