Koi. as in suicidal.

Any knowledgeable  Koi people know how to deal with this? Our neighbours have installed a fair sized pond for their son as a present on his confirmation. We said we'd supply the waterlilies and 30-40 goldfish. As an extra surprise for him we put in one Koi about 30cms,one of our 7 bigger ones that we have had for 4 years. However, it kept leaping out of their pond,funnily enough always in the same place and odd, as the pond is perfectly round. They returned it tonight and it is back with it's pals. Anyone else seen this sort of behaviour. Needless to say the son is a bit disappointed.

Regards. B&B St.Malo

In hot weather mine would leap from the pond and land on the grass so I had to put a net over it.

During a recent trip to France my neighbour fed the fish but for some reason lifted one corner of the net.

When I returned there was an awful smell in the garden, you've guessed it, and these were 45cm specimens.

I've given up koi keeping now and just have frogs and newts!

fish in the wild will jump out of the water when being chased by a bigger predator, is it possible the other fish might of been seen (on mass) as a larger fish if they were swimming around together? or maybe he just wanted to go home to his pals ?

Apparently this is common with Koi carp when they are introduced to a new environment or if separated from their mate, or if a female is trying to avoid an over enthusiastic partner.

Try using netting until they settle in.

He/She will stay with his/her pals. I have crept into the neighbours garden when they are out and keep putting a few more smaller goldfish/koi in his pond to make up for the loss. I wonder when he'll notice the increase in population? Thanks for the replies and interest..

Regards. B&B St.Malo