Newt or frog?

Pads

Can any one tell me the difference btween a frog and newt tadpole? I have lots of different tadpoles in my pond different sizes and colour, we have newts and frogs so some must be the babies of each ?

many thanks

Hi

From memory, baby newts are thinner than tadpoles and their front legs grow first, not their back legs. Before the legs grow the mouth is very different - much bigger and more visible on a baby newt.

There may be other ways of telling the difference.

This is a trifle complicated and I will try to figure out a way of doing this "on the forum" without taking up too many pages!!! 

What would be good, would be if you either have any photos or have any idea exactly what frogs, toads and newts you think you have seen in and around your pond, at what time of year were they present and also what departement you are in.

Chris.L

I have taken these from my site. This is a Salamander larvae, long body with large head, external "lungs" just visible at the back of the head, all four legs develop at about the same time and there is a large distance between them, small light mark at the base of each leg where it joins the body.

Crested newt larvae, similar development, external "lungs" clearly visible, long body same size as head.

Parsley frog larvae, rear legs develop first, short distance between legs when the others grow, short body and head, quite distinctly frog like or toad like. Large "fins" on tail for breathing. Other frogs and toads will have a similar appearance, although there will be differences in colour, shape and size.

The information about time of year and location would be useful, also the nature of the pond.

Any help?

Chris the toad.

I should have said as well that all newts develop in the same way, but will have different colouration.

Have a good evening Dick, I will be out in the forest tonight with a group after dark - Nightjars (not quite the same thing even if it sounds similar.

Chris