Strange bird

I think Chris may be able to help with this one.  Mum is visiting at the moment and just before she came away (from the UK) she noticed 3 birds in the garden that she has never seen before.  They were brown, about sparrow size with sharp pointed beaks (like a robin).  They had a bright yellow flash down the outside edge of their wings, maroon colour on their head and six distinctive white spots down their back.  Quite sleek looking.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks[:)]

I think that Valerie is right, no other bird fits that description. Try this photo, it's on my site and it possibly gives a better idea of colours. This one is taken in bright sunlight, on an overcast day it would appear much duller.

Chris.L

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Yes - huge great noisy mobs. My pal Alan lives in Twickenham, and they drive him demented flocking in his garden.
[/quote]

They are Ringneck parakeets, we used to breed them when we lived in Norfolk. You can get them in a beautiful light blue and a pure white - but they will revert to green through breeding eventually if they are in the wild. They do make a bit of a racket when they get going, I must admit!

They cost a fortune to buy over here as a breeding pair[:(]

Why are they in the wild??? I thought that they were an Aussie bird and native there, not England?

Oh, probably the same reason as the grey squirrels are now wild in England. Carefull breederz?

John (wild in France, but not breeding!![kiss])

They are in France as well, some quite large populations around Paris, I thought I saw one near here earlier this year and I'm in the middle of no where. As far as I know they are not a problem for any native species (apart from Dicks mate in Twickers).

Chris

[quote user="Dick Smith"] they were listening to the Eagles concert at Twickenham...

[/quote]

Not much better than the parakeets.  Eagles just go 'EE-ak  EE-ak', don't they?  Can't see the entertainment value in that.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Why are they in the wild??? I thought that they were an Aussie bird and native there, not England?

Oh, probably the same reason as the grey squirrels are now wild in England. Carefull breederz?

John (wild in France, but not breeding!![kiss])

[/quote]

They originate from India and unfortunately they manage to escape sometimes. Although I am sure there are people who buy them from pet shops thinking they are nice looking, then don't like the noise so let them go![:@] We lost one for nearly a week once, and could see him in the surrounding trees and eventually the calling of his mate brought him back [:)]

This link shows the colours that are possible, although the real wild ones are always green. They are a beautiful bird and quite comical sometimes if you watch them.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/birds/parakeets/RingneckParakeet.php

Have shown mum the picture and she says no.  The body was dark brown, the whole head red and the wing had a single straight flash of yellow on the outer edge.  The white spots started at the shoulder.  They had the beak of an insect eater and were looking under the tiles on the roof as though searching for insects.[:)]

As Crispy said, trying to recall the exact details of a bird you've seen is notoriously difficult, especially once it's gone.  I even find it hard when the bird's in front of me and I've got my reference book open!  I reckon the goldfinch is still favourite.  Hugh's lesser spotted is a good call for a second shot but three of them together seems unlikely.  An even longer shot would be swallows, given the red splash on the head and the fact they were messing about on the roof, but no yellow there either and white underneath.

[img]http://www.normandie-chambres.co.uk/pics/swallow2.jpg[/img]

Not the best pic but it's all I've got.

[quote user="Pixietoadstool"]

Is that a female green finch?

It doesn't have a red head and it is mostly a seed feeder too. The yellow flash is certainly there though!

Valerie

[/quote]

Yes, it's a greenfinch.  We get a few bird casualties each year crashing into our windows and doors and they seem to be the most prone to it.  Tried sticking up bird of prey outlines in red, yellow and black on the windows which has helped a bit.

Yep, it's a female green-finch, but I assuming that it has to be "a looks like". If you get the light in a certain direction the top of the head can get a brownish/reddish look with an overall brown appearance for the rest of the bird, tis true that it is primarily a seed eater but they happily eat just as many insects.

I'm trying aren't I?

Chrispy.