gerry

Hi all hope someone can help,my daughter has just come back from our cottage in laval,we have a fireplace that is boarded up just above the fireplace but according to my daughter we have an animal that snores at night in the chimney and goes during the day.We know the only means of entry is on the roof and down the chimney full of hard soot has anyone ever heard of this happening before and how humanely can we solve this thanks Gerry

My husband complians about my snorring and he has bought me a small plastic thing that you place in each nostril,I  actually do not think it works as I am still rudely awoken with a slap or kick, I think he got it from Boots The Chemist,may be worth a try but I dont know how you would ensure the creature wore it correctly or how in fact you could persuade it to wear it,

There would seem to be a very good chance that it a loir, or edible dormouse in English,( Glis glis ).

They frequently install themselves in chimneys and roof spaces and one of the sounds that they make at could be described as snoring, usually commences at dusk, it's unlikely to be anything else down a chimney.

Chris

We have them in our chimney too, I just bang the wall and tell them to turn over onto their side!!![:-))]

Sorry just joking, unfortunately they are clever little mites but  I hate to kill them so I let them carry on 'til they venture out at night and one of my 5 cats gets 'em!

If they are using the chimney to hang out in, I can't see myself that they should be any cause for concern, they don't carry any diseases and are fruit, nut and seed eaters, otherwise I don't think there is a good way to get rid of them, other than live trapping and transporting to the forest which is their "natural" home and where numbers of them live.

Chris

Well if there is a humane way to get them out Tresco, other than live trapping, I don't know what it is and as far as I know nobody else has the solution either, they are remarkably tolerant of human activity and usually use the chimney space rather than the flue, although they can fall down the flue sometimes and find themselves trapped in the fire if it has doors.

Not easy, Chris

By the way, Chrispy - nothing at all like Bill Oddie, much more Eric Clapton.

Edible Dormice Recipe:

4 dormice

Flour

Oil

2 potatoes

Bouquet garni

Salt Pepper

Lemon peel

Vinegar (Wine or Balsamic)

Skin and gut the dormice and lay them flat. Gently flour them all over.

Fry the dormice in a little oil until browned.

Scald the potatoes unpeeled in water then peel and quarter them.

Add potatoes to the dormouse pan and toss in the juices and oil.

Transfer to a saucepan and de glaze the pan with water and a little wine if liked. You should have about ¾ pint of liquid.

Pour the liquid over the mice and potatoes.

Add some zested lemon peel and simmer slowly until the potatoes break up and the soup is thick.

Just before serving sprinkle on some wine vinegar

Sounds like an interesting recipe, and I would certainly give it a try if someone else had cooked it, otherwise it sounds like a lot of effort unless you have plenty of spare time.

I assume that the Romans breed them in captivity.

Chris

Do you think you eat the bones, or pick the flesh off?  I've never seen one up close. 

We do have a giant hedgehog, the size of a Jack Russell, who lives somewhere near our dead woodpile.  And we have seen a lot of little black poos as well as the big ones so I suspect we have piglets too.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Kept in pottery jars and fed nuts and seeds to fatten them up. Eaten roasted, stuffed with pork forcemeat, sometimes glazed with honey.

[/quote]

Sounds very Apicurean, Dick!  Welcome back.

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/dick%20smith/monkeyLove.jpg[/IMG]

Pick them up with your fingers and eat like a chicken wing I guess. Romans didn't have forks, just a sharp prong on the handle of their spoons.

Don't recommend trying to eat a boar with your fingers unless you habitually wear blue and white striped trousers.

I didn't think I'd been away...