striped spiders

maude

We have a number of large,25mm long bodied striped spiders in our garden which we havent see in 4 years in the vendee.Can anyone direct us into their identification?Also what are the large centipede type insects we occasionally find inside or out.They resemble false eyelashes.Are they harmless or otherwise? Thanks ,Maude

Hi Maude,  pretty spiders aren't they?

Argyope fasciée (Argiope bruennichi)

Argyope fasciée / (Argiope bruennichi)

You will be pleased to know that the spiders won't hurt you.

But this one, Scutigera coleoptrata (or Scutigère véloce), can give a bit of a bite.

Scutigera coleoptrata

Chris

Hello Maud

I think the spider you have seen Argiope bruennichi - the tiger or wasp spider.   They normally live around the Med. or north Africa but recently they have been seen in the UK and Northern Europe.   The web has white zig-zags radiating from the centre.  They prefer meadows but we have one in the Ginko, one in fig tree, one amongst the bear's breeches as well as the usual in the fields.   The ginko spider seems to have disappeared but has left what we assume to be a nest.   It is beautifully constructed - the same colouring as the spider ie wasp striped and emulates the spiders abdomen.   The whole thing is suspended by a cobwebs and we have been watching all our other spiders to see if they will do the same thing.   I have searched the web but can find no reference to this.   Hope someone else can explain.

Glynis  

Hi Chris,

Thought you may like to know that the colony is growing at an amazing rate.   Lots of egg cocoons around far too many to protect.   Saw the most incredible thing, one of the largest of the spiders seemed to be comatose in her web, it was only when we looked closely that we discovered that she was in the grip of a praying mantis and not a large one at that.   Later the eggs were missing - would that be the mantis also.

Glynis

Hi Glynis,   Fascinating isn't it, the spider eats flies, grasshoppers and other small (and not so small insects), and along comes a mantis and eats the spider, and if the mantis doesn't watch out, along comes a little bird and eats it, and so it goes on.

I think that mantis only eat insects, so it seems more probable that some other creature ate the eggs!!

Chris

Nice one John, that should get everyone going!!

I don't know if they are in France, but if not, I'm sure they will be...

Same old camera, can't afford a new one at the moment due to imminent land purchase, which is to be named "the new bathroom" which we now won't be having!

Have e-mailed you, Chris