are they snake holes

across the lawn area of our back garden there are lots of holes, i know that these would not have been made by snakes but have been told to be carefull of snakes appearing from them. is this true?   and what would have made the holes, there are no signs of any moles ?cant think of anything else small enough

The holes were probably made by either field voles or common voles, or both and although snakes will not have made them they most certainly will and do use them.

Whether or not you should be careful?  Only if you are thinking of poking your fingers or toes in the holes!!

Chris

Steve, going round blocking holes isn't really going to do much good, Asp Vipers can be anywhere, it's the countryside. It's better to teach children about wildlife, how to recognise different creatures and how to handle them if appropriate.

Good to see you back Tresco.

Chris

In the Herault, camping, I once found a smallish hole, clear of plants or debris for about 2" all round, going straight down into the ground, It was about 15mm across.

It was where I was going to set up my barbecue, so I was interested, but not that bothered. I thought it might be a mousehole, and if Mrs Alcazar sees a mouse, we're off that site the same day!

I moved to look down it and thought I could see a claw! I thought, "Scorpion?", so poked a stiff length of grass down it.

Imagine my shock when a very large SPIDER appeared from the hole, holding onto, and actively PULLING my bit of grass! It moved like lightning. I think I jumped back about f our feet, my French friend laughed his socks off at me, but stopped laughing when I got him to do the same on the spider, now back down it's hole, and it repeated the trick!

We saw a few of them during the holiday, one running across our groundsheet in the awning didn't survive the journey, but the most scary was the one on my youngest's HEAD when he retrieved a Man Utd shirt off the floor and put it straight on! Serves him right for supporting a crap team LOL[:D]

Some local French told us they could bite, but weren't dangerous, a bit like a mild wasp sting was how they described it.

Alcazar

france hasnt met my man eating dog yet...................we get a new post man every week as they mysteriously dissappear..................................

and the dustbins havnt been emptied for over a month?????????????

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I think I have the same holes in my garden. When I first arrived in Normandy it was March 2005. On cutting the grass for the first time, I discovered these small holes and also quite a few sloworms, so thought that it was them that had made the holes. Later on, about May/June, I noticed something dart back into one of the holes. so sat and watched and what appeared did look something like a beetle, but on looking it up it turned out to be a Field Cricket. If these are what you have in your garden, you should hear them chirping really loudly all day and night in May/June. Hope you didn't fill the holes with expanding foam!

Thankfully no, Frederick, we are not talking Cleopatra here, that was thought to be an Egyptian Cobra, bit higher on the scale of dangerous, as in often deadly, shouldn't be any here.

But if you see one, speak nicely to it.

Your other question, Do Asp vipers know the way to Vendee?  Well, do bears crap in the woods?

Chris

[quote user="pads"]

france hasnt met my man eating dog yet...................we get a new post man every week as they mysteriously dissappear..................................

and the dustbins havnt been emptied for over a month?????????????

[/quote]Hi Pads, welcome to France!!!

What's your man doing eating dog? I'm sure that ain't allowed here? If Cassis is to be believed then that's something they do for a career, or was that in Korear, or somewhere in the East? He ain't having a nibble at our dog on Saturday, so there.... Eats postmen too eh [8-)]?