Praying Mantis!!

Hello, I thought i'd post this as a little warning. Since we have been here (over 4 years) I have always been amazed at the beauty of the praying mantis, often picking them up to look at them, I find them so cool how they look around, have also let the kids hold them. Last week, we had my sister here with her kids. A praying mantis had fallen into the pool. It wasn't too happy, so as usual dived my han in to pick it up and the Bl**dy thing BIT me!! Yes it bit me, now it didn't leave a mark or blood but it still hurt. I dropped it, the thing started to put it's wings up and vibrate them, quite a noise. Now I didn't know they could bite us! Learn something every day. I'll stick to picking my dog up in future and let the thing drown! ( I won't really but will use the net to get it out)

[quote user="louweezel"] Maybe she was being affectionate! 

"While it is not necessary for the male preying mantis to be beheaded in order to consumate the mating ritual, the female mantis will occasionally bite off her mate's head." 

[/quote]

Sounds a bit like my 1st wife [:-))].

Not only can, and do, bite, but if you get a good bigun they will slice your finger with the razors on their front legs. They are wonderful things though... Just be awaire of what they are pert etra [8-|]

I had one on a mantlepiece for about a week, I had to sort of dust around her/him.  We seem to have had a plague of flies and when I swatted one and only stunned it I used to feed them to her using tweezers.  She was very happy to take and eat it and I could almost believe that she had learned to expect to be fed. She must have become bored with flies though because she didn't stay.[:D]

Anne

We have one on a windowsill in a spare bedroom. She has been sitting there for 24 hours, which i thought was odd but obviously not! There is a big beasty spider hiding in a crack next to her so i wonder if she's waiting for it.