very large worm

mooky

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats it. Its underground and I have marked where I put it. How long does it take to become a moth?

My garden is full of wondeful things as it hadn't been touched for ten years. Before that it had never been sprayed with pesticides or herbicides. The family wanted it to go to someone who was 'green'

I am . I never had the pleasure of an untouched garden before. Thank you Chris;

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

[quote user="Cassis"]Blinkin' 'eck Mooky (I'm practicing my apostrophe's, by the way).  That's a corker:

[/quote]

Hi Cas, (apostrophe's) surely that don't nead a ''' (the one in the middle is the one, the one either side are the ones pointing out the one in the middle, I think?) 'cause it's a plural not a possesive thingy? Not good at these things 'cause if you can't pick it up I don't understand it. I think that's wot I mean's? Big sod though init...

[/quote]

Morning, Jonzjob! 

Sorry, it was an ironic apostrophe.  The reason for it is bit obscure, you had to be reading another thread at the same time to get the joke - unless you did get it and now I'm being obtuse!    I think that's a big enough hole I've dug for myself - anybody want to borrow my shovel?

PS I presume your spare apostrophe was deliberate as well. [:)]

Morning Cas', I have bin following the other fred and I'm glad Mr D Smith was not my teach or I would probably have been in trouble more than I was! What extra apostrothree, know wot I mean's?

How come you let the mirabelles fall. Here they would not have touched the ground here. If we had not got them then our chokky labraador would have. We love them. Lovely to see loads of les pappions though.

Wotz an RA?

Morning Phil,  it's the time of year, mate, what you are seeing now are the ones that will attempt to overwinter, the second generation. It's why it's important to have plants like Ivy that flower this late and provide a superb nectar source, not only for them, but many other insects and butterflies, honey bees as well. I think that many people are unaware that it's not only mammals and birds that have to feed up prior to winters arrival.

On the subject of butterflies, soon, in October, there will be thousands of Painted lady and Brimstone butterflies migrating down the west coast of France to warmer climates for the winter.

Chris

Hello again all.

Thanks for the info on the Red Admirals.  RA was meant to be shorthand instead of typing 'Red Admiral'  again.  But this explanation has taken more time to type than it would have taken to type 'Red Admiral' again so maybe it was inadvisable. [:)]  "Admiral" in this case is a corruption of "Admirable", by the way.

You can only use so many mirabelles!  Jude has tried to keep up with the output of fruits of various kinds, plus the potager, but frankly, there is only so much we can use ourselves.  Unless we spent all our time picking the beggars up we couldn't avoid some going over where they drop.

We also ended up with c.100 kilos of peaches (off one ancient, decrepit looking tree) going to waste because we couldn't find enough people to take the excess; we found that the chickens like them but the ducks and geese don't.

Maybe we need a pig or something.

You're right about the ivy, Chris.  We noticed last year that it was an insect magnet deep into autumn.

Unfortunately I had to strip the ivy off two oak trees where it was getting out of hand, but we have left it to its own devices elsewhere so nobody should starve this year.

I haven't been to Futuroscope.  They have one of those annoying websites that makes noises that you can't turn off, by the way.  Don't you hate that?

No, I don't do muliti-task.  I sometimes swap very quickly from one task to another, many thousands of times a second, so it sometimes appears that I am multi-tasking.  At other times I am doing one thing, thinking about another, but have no idea what I am actually doing.  But most often I am doing nothing at all and day-dreaming.

Yes, he said:

1. If you drink, don't drive. Don't even putt.
  2. I once shook hands with Pat Boone and my whole right side sobered up.
  3. There's a statue of Jimmy Stewart in the Hollywood Wax Museum, and the statue talks better than he does.
  4. You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.

[quote user="Cassis"]Yes, he said:

1. If you drink, don't drive. Don't even putt.

2. I once shook hands with Pat Boone and my whole right side sobered up.

3. There's a statue of Jimmy Stewart in the Hollywood Wax Museum, and the statue talks better than he does.

4. You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.

[/quote]

I like Jimmy Stewart! It's a wonderful life is one of my favourite films .