Poorly frog

For several months we have been aware tht there are frogs, toads and newts inhabiting our pond. Yesterday we spotted one of the frogs sat on a paddle stone at the pond edge, unusually it didn't move when we approached and eventually my husband blew on it to see if was still alive, although it moved it was very slow. Same sort of behavior today. I think its stomach is distended too.

Last year we had two frogs die in the pond and I thought it was from 'redleg'.

Is the frog we have seen likely to be  ill or is it just going into hibernation mode ?

That sort of depends on the temperature at the time,G, but as common frogs tend to be active during far colder weather than other frogs, 3° C should be enough, I wouldn't have thought it was "slowed" down by any kind of hibernation mode, more likely to be sick or getting used to you..

Coming back to the red-leg, which you mentioned before, do you have any evidence for this or was it just a guess at a reason for them dieing? AND, are all your common frogs albinos, or just the one in the photo that you took? AND, importantly, do you use any chemicals in the garden?

Chris

My bet is that this is a sick frog, you are right I guessed at 'redleg' last year as I couldn't find any other logical cause. The frog looks albino to me, in fact all our frogs (or the ones we see) are albino (which in practice seems to mean the local heron gives them a close look)

We don't use chemicals (or rarely, spraying the standard rose for mildew once a month is about the limit) nothing that isn't wildlife friendly in the pond, no slug pellets, and while the neighbours one side are the same I think its quite possible that slug pellets are used the other side.

Its not a very big frog so maybe from this years spawn ?

My husband just says let nature take its course, but if there is something we could do to stop losing frogs each autumn I'd like to know!

I wonder if it's a genetic weakness that's causing the problem, it's likely that you have the same genetic line that breeds every year in the pond, (born out by the albino factor, not so unusual with common frogs), they don't normally travel very far from their birth place and have a very strong tendency to stay loyal to it. The water is unlikely to be a problem as they are very tolerant to a wide range of PH.

You mentioned that you have newts that use the pond, do you know what type they are and if they have any problems, other than predation.

Chris

I think Mr RH knows what type the Newts are, I'll ask him tomorrow (he's asleep now)

Last year I was quite downhearted about the 'dead frog' thing, but in the spring there were obviousley frogs that had overwintered, we try to leave plenty of places that are potential hibernating sites for wildlife, terracotta pots on there sides, leaves piled up under the conifer etc........

I know that this isn't a poorley frog, but I thought  that you may like to see it anyway. A striped tree frog. Yesterday I was giving our dracaena palmy like thingie a trim and this little perisher popped it's head out from between the leaves. When I tried to get a photo it jumped from leaf to leaf. I got this at the 3rd attempt though. It is about 1 1/2 inch long and a lovely little thing. I left him in peace..

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Stripedtreefrog.jpg[/IMG]

If you have newts in the pool then the quality of the water should be OK. So perhapse it is due to in breading?