Flys in the Dordogne

Derkins

Warm and wettish summer, mild Autumn so far...........flies![+o(]

There are still a few around here in the UK too.[:(]

Of course, it'll also depend on where.......were  you anywherer near a farm, at all? Our property has a fair few, including some little ******s that bit like someone pricking you with a red hot needle, and we neighbour a beef farm.

Spongebob.

Oh, and why buy in Dordogneshire? There are FAR nicer places[;-)]

[quote user="Derkins"]Thanks, can you recommend any better places to live, what about near Limoges?
[/quote]

Dunno, really, I've only ever lived here in the North Midlands and southern Haute Vienne.

Unfortunately, wherever you live, if it's mild weather, you'll get flies. I killed two last night at a pubquiz near here, and we are in October[:(]

Spongebob.

PS: I'd LIKE to live in the Vaucluse near Isle sur la Sorgue, but I met someone on holiday last year who lived there, a French lady. She didn't recommend it on the grounds of:

Tourists in the tourist season,[Www]

Too hot in summer[8-)]

Inflated prices.[:(]

You can't please everyone, eh?

I would think that you need to look a little closer at an area. There would have to be quite a few flies to cover the whole of the Dordogne, and how would they know when they reach the department boundary? I live in the Dordogne, about 12 miles north of St Cyprien but we have had very few flies. I live on a south facing wooded hillside, very isolated so could it be that the flies don't know that I am here?

If you live next to a pig farm inthe UK you will get flies, I know as my sister does, but 3 miles up the road there are very few flies. If I visited my sister then should I discount east Anglia as it is full of flies? You could look at Brittany, but if there were a farm nearby there would be flies. You just can't win!

Bob T, East Anglia isn't full of flies. Well not at my mammy's house anyway, she doesn't allow them in.

I live in Charente on border of the Dordogne and haven't noticed a great increase in the flies when i walk over the border. (although we have a lot of flies.......part of country life I'm afraid!) I have taken up fly swatting with an electric bat.......great fun, now i positively encourage flies to come in.

I think flies were last on my list when house hunting!

Louise

I just want to confirm that in Brittany in the countryside, there are also plenty of flies around, but due to the poor August weather, we were only troubled for a few weeks in July this year. If you do your househunting anytime from late September to June, you won't get an indication of the summer fly problem. It is the very difficult to remove stains they leave behind which I find most annoying.

Well I live about 30 minutes away from the Dordogne, in the Lot, and I think maybe the Dordogne flies are taking a late summer holiday in my area.  Although it is quite rural around here, and there are no livestock farms nearby, there are quite a lot of flies.  We get around 5 or 6 in the house each day at the moment, despite only having the windows open an inch or two.

Like Louise, I have an electric tennis-racket type fly swotter, it's the best 5 euros I ever spent.  I can electricute the blighters without splatting them all over walls and ceilings, in fact I only have to lightly touch a fly with the bat and it falls stunned to the ground.

I'd say that around here, in summer, flies and wasps are definately a problem, although the only places they really bug me are in the kitchen and the bedroom.  For this reason we're having fly screens for the windows in our new house.

Aren't the electronic tennis racquets great?
In our part of Manche (ie the part in the middle of a dairy farm) there are many, many flies. Many flies. The only thing that really keeps them under control (hang on - deja vu - I've already posted this on another thread about flies) is fly-paper. The sticky stuff that hangs from the ceiling and catches in your hair.

Then you get on with your life, I am afraid.

We used to use the fly papers too. I thought they were more environmentally friendly than some other methods. The trouble is we had a really high wind one day and they stuck the our boarded, grey-painted ceiling leaving marks that are impossible to remove. If anyone has any ideas as to how to get the brown gunge off I'd be pleased to hear them.

Hoddy

Tried WD40, or it's French equivalent?

Spray the gunge, spread the oil with a finger, leave for about 15 minutes, wipe off with paper towel, wash with soapy water if necessary.

WD40 even removes that AWFUL label glue that nothing else seems to[;-)]

Spongebob

[quote user="Cat 46"]

Well I live about 30 minutes away from the Dordogne, in the Lot, and I think maybe the Dordogne flies are taking a late summer holiday in my area.  Although it is quite rural around here, and there are no livestock farms nearby, there are quite a lot of flies.  We get around 5 or 6 in the house each day at the moment, despite only having the windows open an inch or two.

Like Louise, I have an electric tennis-racket type fly swotter, it's the best 5 euros I ever spent.  I can electricute the blighters without splatting them all over walls and ceilings, in fact I only have to lightly touch a fly with the bat and it falls stunned to the ground.

[/quote]

Oh how I dream of 5 or 6 flies a day!  At the moment I am grateful that we are down to about 30 or 40. (We're surrounded by a dairy cattle farm) Earlier in September it was like a horror movie when I walked into the bedroom and realised the ceiling was MOVING with flies [:-))]  I agree with Dick and Hoddy that fly papers are the best way of getting rid of them - ever had one COMPLETELY covered within half an hour of putting it up?  That's what it was like here a couple of weeks ago. 

So what are these electric tennis racquets? - I WANT ONE!  Where can I get one?

We have used mesh screens for our windows with great success for many years. This year we tried mesh curtains for our external doors with limited success. The main problem being our 2 GSDs constantly going in and out and catching the flimsy material.

I have researched chain curtains in the UK but they are £190 and upwards for <1m by 2.1m. Does anybody have a lead on affordable chain curtain suppliers in France.

Thank you

Vern