Les Grues Cendrée

Cranes. They are starting their migration to their winter homes in Spain. The migration cuts right across France from NE to SW. They are quite a sight if you are lucky enough to live under their flight path (which I am). Literally thousands flying in several 'V' formations, honking away. Last year they stopped mid-flight, circling above our house, maybe waiting for the stragglers to catch up to to get their bearings. When you see them you know that autumn us here, but equally in the Spring when they are on their way back up to Scandanavia it a joyous sight as Spring has arrived!

They have already been spotted at Seine et Marne. If you want to see if they are approaching your area you can track them on this website

http://champagne-ardenne.lpo.fr/grues/point_sur_la_migration.htm#

Thanks for the information, it will be interesting to "follow" the cranes progress and with any luck get the chance to see some. I was completely unaware of the existence of the mapping and logging of information for the cranes online.  We live on one of the 2 "sub" flight paths for many migratory birds about 100km inland from La Rochelle on the west coast where vast numbers of birds are already starting to pass through.  It may be of general assistance to know that cranes tend to fly in V formations or long lines - Storks in loose flocks. 

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone been following the migration and more to the point has anyone observed any Cranes in their region? A small flock was seen passing overhead by some friends of ours nearby ( Vienne 86 ) but unfortunately I haven't seen any, probably due to working inside at the moment. I look all the time early in the morning driving to work, but just lots of lapwings arriving to overwinter.

Chris.

Yes, I have been following the website daily. I have seen 4 seperate vols go over. It was very exciting. They always do go over us, Spring and Autumn. This year I did actually report on the website mentioned above - so where you see sightings in the Dordogne, that was me!! I tend to hear them first then run out of the house or around the garden until I spot them, they have a very distinctive call like a short honk and rarely fly silently.

BTW Chris - I like your website, very informative especially with the additional link to the Grues

That's very interesting Fantine.  I think I may have seen some, not recently, but in the past, and always thought they were geese.  It is the honk you mention and now the picture on the site with the long neck out which makes me think it could have been cranes.  When you see them go over, how many (about) are there at a time?

Comment la reconnaître ?

OieCormoranHéron cendréGrue cendrée
Plus petite que la grue, les pattes ne sont pas visiblesPlus petit, avec un battement d'ailes plus rapideRemarquez le cou repliéCou tendu, pattes tendues

Leurs cris, "GROU GROU", ne trompent pas. Au vol, les grues sont caractérisées par un grand cou et des grandes pattes dépassant du corps.

I live in the eastern Haute Vienne.  We had a dozen or so large waves come over on Monday - probably 2,000 or so birds in total and some smaller waves in the last couple of days.  They always seem to pass over us late afternoon.   Last year it got very cold just after they left.

No, Adrian, still can't see it, it's very frustrating.  Perhaps admin could put a sticky of "how to post a photo".  On your village photos, copy the url of the photo, then in the instert a photo thing on here you copy it into the "source de l'image" box (ctrl v).  If you can't do it, you can send it to me and I'll try if you like.

Hi

I live in south Indre 36 (Ste Severe)

We have seen what must be now around 1000 maybe more fly over in the last 3 days. We are right on the flight path. Its an amazing site and the sound is enchanting. It's one of those sounds that could go on a "tranquillity" CD!

They are generally all flying the same line, but yesterday a whole bunch hung around circling waiting for stragglers, then bizarrly they all flew North West! Perhaps they know something we don't.

Debs

Hi

just to note that many of these birds stop for a rest here in Languedoc before departing for N Africa.

The Heron Cendre has noted the change in the climate and increasing numbers winter here. And some love Languedoc so much that they are staying here year round to raise chicks.

A bit more about local bird life here : http://www.conservatoire-du-littoral.fr/front/process/Content.asp?rub=8&rubec=101&site=1968

Peter

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We are at 450ft in 24 near Perigueux - the last lot of cranes came over on Friday.

Saturday morning there was a single lost one at the bottom of our lane.

Later that day we saw the crane again in someones ornamental pond - it looked tired but had a cheeky looking grin.

It was smaller than the herons that gather in a clearing in the forest nearby - sometimes there are up to eight.

• 2 months later...

If anyone has been following the migration from time to time, the last couple of days have seen a few northward flights in the east, although the continuing cold will probably keep this on hold. This is the beginning of the pre nuptial migration "back up north". It may not seem like it, but spring is just around the corner.

http://champagne-ardenne.lpo.fr/grues/point_sur_la_migration.htm 

Chris

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

... and where are you Mr. Dog... location location, which département is that?

It only seems five minutes ago we were talking about them coming down, they can't already be going back   [:O]

Edit : Sorry Dog, I have just seen further above that you are 450ft 24 near Perigueux.

[/quote]

Mr Dog,

Go into your profile and update your location there, then we can see each time you post where you are [;)]

It's great news that Spring is around the corner.  It always seems to us that 1st March and it is like someone flicks a switch - yipee.  Will watch out for the Grues - I love seeing the first northerly flight, I get very excited about it [:D]