Magpie catching bats.

I don't like Magpies much either.

On one the channels this morning on French TV , there was a brief feature on a bat 'infestation' somewhere in Sth America .The night sky was just full of bats and then it showed them in the day time hanging from trees, they looked a lot bigger than any bats I have seen.

Made me shudder!

I often see Magpies as I leave to go to work, early light on their iridiscent wings is a beautiful sight. I also see a lot in flight, as they form a large part of the school's bird population, which I spend a lot of time watching when I'm on duty!

What impressed me was the way the bird waited at the right time of day and at the right place - which must be learned rather than instinctive behaviour - and the way it started a small larder, which I didn't expect.

I think they look lovely, but I can't stand the cackling noise they make nearly every morning near my window.  When there are several of them, they make enough noise to wake the dead.

Also, considering the French seem to hunt down and eat so many unusual things - do they not eat these birds?  They are huge around here.