Centipedes

For the last few evenings we have had sudden visitations from quite large centipedes (resembling small frayed rugs), they come in and go across the floor like lightening. I happen to be terrified of spiders, and these guys don't make me feel much easier. Last night I managed to sweep the intruder straight out of the balcony door and shove him over the edge, but I have to admit to having flattened one the other night when it dashed into the bedroom. I have read that quite a few centipedes bite (the equivalent of a bee sting), but I'm not sure if these do. Does anyone know any more about them? Sorry I didn't get time to take a photo, he was too quick!

Jude[8-)]

Thanks for the advice

Chris I'm sure they are the ones pictured on your site. Fortunately we haven't had any more visitations recently. It was the same last year, we had them come in for a few days and then nothing. So hopefully no more till next year.

Jude

I found one ten inches long - they are fascinating creatures, when they run they don't bother to use all those legs. They only use the big ones at the front and the back, they lift up and can run very quickly.

I had great problems getting photos of the critters as it sped about. I rehoused it in a barn - though found a small one yesterday...

I used to really  hate  creepy crawlies. Now they really don't bother me, those speedy fellas (now known as frayed rugs!) are actually quite amusing....soooo fast!

The only things i still can't deal with are those hooooge big spiders. Little/medium ones...no probs (before i'd have run a mile, or 10).....but don't think i'll ever get used to these big jobbies though. (saw 2 yesterday.. [+o(] ) They make me go a bit funny......