Flypaper

Has anyone noticed a distinct shortage of this lately? Been to 3 or 4 different supermarkets to find they have none on their shelves. Apart from a fly swat this is the only decent thing that gets rid of these annoying pointless pests. I heard a rumour that they have been banned because it's apparently cruel to the flies, but I can't see this being the case, if it is, it is absolutely pathetic. Anyway, has anyone else found fly paper in short supply of late?

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]Has anyone noticed a distinct shortage of this lately? Been to 3 or 4 different supermarkets to find they have none on their shelves. Apart from a fly swat this is the only decent thing that gets rid of these annoying pointless pests. I heard a rumour that they have been banned because it's apparently cruel to the flies, but I can't see this being the case, if it is, it is absolutely pathetic. Anyway, has anyone else found fly paper in short supply of late?

[/quote]

Maybe there is a world shortage

What do you mean by fly paper ?........ the brown sticky mess covered  strip that you pull out of a tube and hang up ...if so havent seen one in use  for years...or the parrot shaped card impregnated with what used to be DDT that I also havent seen for years ..... We have the blue light fry them if they go through the grill killer but not much good for flies more a mozzy getter ......I could do with a good sticky fly paper .....

[quote user="Frederick"]What do you mean by fly paper ?........ the brown sticky mess covered  strip that you pull out of a tube and hang up ...if so havent seen one in use  for years........[/quote]

We buy these in our local Leclerc and they work.

John

and

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"] Apart from a fly swat this is the only decent thing that gets rid of these annoying pointless pests. [/quote]

Annoying? Yes, definitely. Pests? When around humans, yes, I suppose so. Pointless? Not really, what about the job their maggots do getting rid of dead animals? Anyway, Le Bon Dieu put them here, who are WE to argue?[:D]

Personally, I HATE to kill anything, but the wife does insist occasionally for flies and bluebottles. We have swats and a couple of those electric tennis reckets, but they are a bit too much like hard work for me.......

Also, Screwfix Fly and Wasp killer is almost instant knock down and dirt cheap.

[quote user="Iceni"]

[quote user="Frederick"]What do you mean by fly paper ?........ the brown sticky mess covered  strip that you pull out of a tube and hang up ...if so havent seen one in use  for years........[/quote]

We buy these in our local Leclerc and they work.

John

[/quote]

We also get ours in Leclerc and I haven't noticed any shortage.  Much as I like 'creatures' I could force myself to live without flies.  We seem to have a plague of them this year.

My area 79 seems to have lots. There are an unusual amount of flies around this year. I am told I get them because I cannot keep the windows closed on a nice day. I use those sticky things, but take them down regulary. I don't like looking at fly graveyards. It goes against all my principles to kill them but.....they do wriggle and struggle with those things. A peacock butterfly got caught on it the other day and I felt awful. How judgemental that is against flies. My guilt was punished later on when I walked into one hanging from a beam in the bedroom. Splat! a face full of sticky and dead flies!

I get them in Point Vert and there seems to be no shortage of either the papers or the flies.  They were driving me crazy yesterday, I will have to look at screens I think.  Saw a program on German TV on how they're made (the paper that is not the .... oh never mind)  The sticky stuff is basically raw latex and its mixed with sugar to attract the flies.  It was only a very small factory but they produce umpteen million of these things each year.

I like the electric tennis rackets - my backhand is coming on a treat - better than a Wii

a bit off topic i know but does anyone have any advice on removing used fly papers? in my experience they always stick to your hand before putting them in a black rubbish bag or even worse stick to the rubbish bag when trying to get them into the damn thing.

I have been going nearly MAD with the bloody things lately!. I got my fly paper strips in the local Shoppi because the fly spray was not doing one bit of good. And I was using 'Raid', all it did was aggravate my mothers allergies. Downside is that I retch each time I have to take the fly-laden strip down.

Why do they follow you from one room to another?

Why can they fly IN THROUGH a door but not OUT the door?.

Why do they sit on people rather than the floor, or the walls?.

I remember on a Sydney radio station years ago an announcer said that if each Australian caught one fly a day it would mean 15 million less flies...somehow I don't think it made much of a dent in the fly population.

I know they are "only" flies, but everything has it's place in nature and every species has evolved for a good reason.(except perhaps voles, but that's a whole other subject)

If you would all leave the spiders alone you wouldn't have so many flies.

Fly papers are even more cruel than spiders!

Aly

We have come across the shortage in previous years and now keep a few for the following year just in case.

We consider fly spray dangerous for human health but are amazed by the large cans so many of our Gîte guests leave behind.

On the subject of flies does anyone have a good tip for removing fly deposits from fabric?

[quote user="Charlotte3"]

I know they are "only" flies, but everything has it's place in nature and every species has evolved for a good reason.

[/quote]

And flies have evolved for our entertainment.  Have you forgotton the sport of Fly-Tipping?  Where you sneak up on a bluebottle and tip it on its side [;-)]