Aaagghh - snake again

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

... Jean-Pierre says a grass snake is an orvet, which is much shorter.

[/quote]

I think an orvet is a slow-worm.  Our builder unearthed one with his digger (unharmed).  It was short (6-8 inches) and silvery-brown colour.

Angela

OK .. this is probably a really stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway!  [Www]

Can snakes slither up walls?  particularly up my wall.  And into my bedroom window.  At night.

Hubbie says nothing to worry about there... but that doesn't help while I'm lying in bed at night having snake terrors.  (I'm not even scared of snakes... wary maybe, and wouldn't want them in the house..... but I've just got this silly fantasy in my head now and it won't go away.  So, can they??!!  [:$])

PS - love your website Chris .... we were on it for ages the other day when we saw our first snakes of the year.  I keep leaving stuff around the garden which is perfect for snakes to soak up the heat under!

Yes they can !  We had one last year high up on a beam under an open outbuilding getting the baby (but I'm not allowed to use that word) birds in their nest.

There must be an ornithological word for baby birds, but I can't remember what it is.   [:P]

Keep your windows shut Chocccie (though Chris will tell you there's absolutely nothing to worry about   [6] ).

Absolutely right, Christine, nothing to worry about what so ever. The only two snakes that are well known for climbing in France are the Aesculapian snake and the Western whip snake, both stunning climbers and the whip snake is as fast as greased lighting.[:D]

Of course, neither of them are at all harmful and it would be rather rare for them to be out at night, perhaps dusk on really hot evenings.

I'm really pleased that you like the site, hope you found it useful, must get on with it.

Chris

Absolutely right, Christine, nothing to worry about what so ever. The only two snakes that are well known for climbing in France are the Aesculapian snake and the Western whip snake, both stunning climbers and the whip snake is as fast as greased lighting.[:D]

We had one of those in the garden last week!!!   [:'(]

I'm going to have to get one of those insect screens for the window as I hate to sleep with the window close.  Now... do either of the above snakes have serrated teeth for the tearing of insect screens!!  Or acidic secretions for the melting of same.

[quote user="chocccie"]

Now... do either of the above snakes have serrated teeth for the tearing of insect screens!!  Or acidic secretions for the melting of same.

[/quote]

Who cares? If I even THOUGHT there was one STARTING to climb my wall, I'd be out of that room so fast.........[:$]

I once found myself in the River Tarn with an odd coloured snake that I've never identified. I got out rather quickly.

My French mate was laughing so hard. He reckoned I'd got out faster than I got in........and I'd DIVED in[blink]